Freedom of speech, unless you are in high school.... adult content

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/23/3706150/poem-spells-trouble-for-ohio-football.html

We criticize our politicians, our school boards, etc., but don't you dare criticize your coach or teammates.  What kind of message does this send to our students?  Do you agree or disagree with what happened to this boy?   

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I would have to read the poem to give an informed opinion.

That said, we have the freedom OF speech, not freedom FROM speech. There are consequences to our words most of the time. You will anger some people and that might net you a negative response.

If the poem was threatening in any way, I can understand the response he got. If not, then it seems that the school and coach got kind of butt hurt.

Oh, I would also want to know what the student handbook states about this kind of behavior and what punishment / consequence it states will be given for this kind of infraction.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:33 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Freedom of speech has always been curtailed in schools, because students are not adults. This is no different than sending a kid home to change because he has Fuck The Police on his shirt. Without seeing the poem, we have no idea what he said, or how slanderous it might have been.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:41 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• This is about as ridiculous as the parents trying to sue a football team for beating their team 91-0 accusing them of BULLYING! Saying that they shouldn't have beaten the other team that badly. I'm sorry but that is ridiculous.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:33 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Without reading the poem, it's hard to say much. If the poem included threats, I could see where it would be a problem. But if nt, then it sounds to me like the kid completed the assignment as directed. There has to be a balance--which teens need to learn and many adults never figure out--between being nice or polite and speaking the truth.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Not panicking some students are adults (18) and even If they weren't that doesn't mean that their rights don't matter just based on their age. Anyway this is a bunch of bull! Unless threats or implied bulling were in the poem this is stupid!

ROFLMAO, keep telling yourself that. Schools are in custody of their students. They are responsible for their welfare and wellbeing the entire time they are on school grounds. That's why students don't get to pick and choose which rules to follow, even if they're not laws.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• the MAJORITY of students are under the age of 18 and if they are 18 and in school they are held by the same code of conduct, rules etc that all the students are.

luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 6:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• What was the TMI flag for?

I think this boy *may* be a little too obsessed with football to write a poem about a game. But hey who knows, it could have been blatant harassment. I would have to read it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• ^^^Staci: I put that up there in case people's responses to this got a little um, colorful - lol ;p

He's on the team too & frustrated with their losing record. So when he was assigned to write about something that made him angry, he picked that topic.
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 6:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I would want to see the poem like everyone else. But, if there is a zero tolerance for bullying/ harrassment, and his poem mocked/ harrassed players/ staff, then you can't have it both ways. Either you support the zero tolerance or you don't. Bullies can scream 'freedom of speech' too, but it doesn't make it ok to say those things, right?
    Tara_S

Answer by Tara_S at 2:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2013