What is the difference?

what is the difference between getting baptized and getting christened?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Same thing in the Catholic religion at least. Both my kids were.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:01 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• When a child is christened, the parents make the promise to raise them in a Christian home. The children later go through confirmation, and accept those promises and one's Christian identity, for themselves.

Baptism is usually done when someone is old enough to choose it, so it skips the bit about parents making the promises for them and jumps straight into the making the promise for oneself and accepting the Christian identity with a deliberate understanding.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Some churches really stress that baptism cannot be given until a person is old enough to consciously accept it. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Depends on the denomination. Generally, Christening is when babies are baptized (ie Catholic baptism), which is why the white clothes the baby wears are called a Christening gown. Baptism is, again, generally, when someone chooses of their own free will. Some people get really sensitive about which word is used when, especially if they only know how their own denom does it, and don't know about any of the others.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• It also kind of depends on the reason for the ceremony, or Sacrament, as it is known in Catholicism. Catholic doctrine says that babies are cleansed of original sin, or the capacity to sin that all human beings are born with, through the Sacrament of baptism. That's why if babies are born seriously ill and unlikely to live, emergency baptisms are performed. I'm not sure if most Catholics truly believe that without the emergency baptisms, the babies would be damned--I hope that's not a widespread idea anymore. In many other faiths, if infants are baptized or dedicated or christened, it's more a commitment from the prents, relatives, and church community to raise them in the faith till they are old enough to decide on baptism by themselves.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:52 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• One is a sacrament and one is naming
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:32 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Don't know what the difference is. And don't care.

Answer by louise2 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• "Don't know what the difference is. And don't care."

Good for you
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

What a valuable and insightful contribution. I think I shall take inspiration from this. I shall now answer every question in pets about cats, even though I never really pay attention to them, and don't care much about them. I'm sure my opinion will be just as welcomed as this one is here!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

Why even bother to answer if that is how you feel?
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 10:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2013