Does this happen in your neighborhood, too?

When the power goes out, does everyone gather around outside to talk?
I heard the click of everything shutting down, poked my head outside to see if it was everyone or just me. Another neighbor was doing the same. "Did your power go out?" "Yep. " and back in I go.
Now there are 5 or 6 of them out on their porches yelling back and forth.
I just find it funny that neighbors who never talk have so much to say to each other.

Side note- no power means no coffee. I'm going to go apeshit soon!

PartyGalAnne

Asked by PartyGalAnne at 11:47 AM on Oct. 23, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Some of use will go out to see if it is everyone. Then I usually go back in.

Answer by louise2 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• LOL,yeah
    We all never get together unless its a power outage,or an accident

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Nope, I poke my head outside to see if everyone's is out and then I go back in. I feel no need to talk to anyone who lives within yelling distance of my house.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:59 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• We get together about once a month or so. Yes we step outside to see how extensive the outage is and to see if anyone was hurt. We also check to see who if anyone calls the electric company. It is usually us since we are on emergency power restore. It just means that we are one of the hundreds to be turned on first for medical reasons.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Haha yeah or my elderly neighbor is here pounding on my door to tell me it's out and to make sure the kids aren't roasting to death or freezing to death lol
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Not really. There's only one time I can think of that we chatted with our neighbors when the power was out, and that was when a tree hit a power line and we were seeing lots of smoke. It had been raining a lot, so we didn't think it would really start a fire, but with the smoke, we figured it was better to stand watch just in case (it was a few houses down, an empty house, that it happened at), and one of the neighbors came out and we talked while we waited. Other than that, our power goes out so much (Duke Energy sucks!) that we don't even look out. We're just like, "Oh, power's out. Okay, call and tell them they suck, then just sit and wait for them to get their thumbs out of their asses and turn it back on."
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• The only time we do that is during tornadoes when we offer each other use of our basements.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• That happens in my neighborhood when a tree falls across the road. Sometimes that involves a power outage as well, lol?
    "Who's got a chainsaw?!?"
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• When it used to be a rare occurrence, yes. Now it happens so often no one even bothers. I guess you are using your cell phone for internet? Unfortunately we have such poor reception here that if we loose power you have to walk to the main road & wander back & forth to get a signal. We can't even use our land line phone because service is provided by cable & that goes out with the power too :P So much for the 21st century. Hope you get power back soon!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I was going to say no but I take that back ... we are in NC and our neighborhood was caught in that freak flooding back in July. We were all checking on each other then because we have a creek that runs through the neighborhood.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2013