You have got to be kidding me...over $36 a month?

Food stamps are getting cut next month....by $36 a month. And they are predicting riots!!? 

I have no problem admitting that I get foodstamps currently...a lot of things have contributed to my family needing them. When we started getting them my husband had virtually no work so the amount was bigger(obviously) then when work started coming in the amount was cut by around a 1/3(naturally). I do feel the cut was bigger then what we could afford to contribute if you went dollar by dollar(but the original amount was way more then we truly needed to feed us. We are happy to have whatever help we get, and I can still easily afford to feed my family of three on what we get and even on $36 less. Because I plan and do sales and don't buy tons of processed pre prepared food. 

Rioting over $36? When what food stamps gives  is most certainly more then what the average family of the same family size spends in cash on food. 

It is people like those who are all upset and threatening to riot that create and keep up the stigmatism that many in the general public have about foodstamp reciepients. 

What do you think? http://www.infowars.com/fox-host-all-hell-could-break-loose-on-november-1st/

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• If we all stay informed on how our government operates, we would know the stimulus money was not going to last forever.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• yeah i think the amount given already is too much, i'm glad that they're cutting them back and this is coming from a current foodstamp recipient.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• (whose foodstamps were also cut back)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I think it's pretty sad when people feel so out of control of their world and dependent on the government that they get all juiced up and ready to riot over $36 a month in food stamps. When I used to receive food assistance, as a single person with no kids, I sure didn't find what I got to be an overabundance, but the thought of protesting, much less rioting, would never have crossed my mind.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• That is the problem with giving a stimulus...that will eventually end. The people get used to the increase and don't want to go back...giving more for a short time is not a good idea, IMO. The same will happen with unemployment when it goes back to "normal".
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 1:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• can't believe everything we read, we already got out notice for my daughter, hers will be cut 20.00 so the amounts are going to be different all over. I really don't see a riot over it and if they get caught rioting they need to loose all of their benefits period. They should be thankful for the free they are getting already.

luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 1:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I've seen no rioting.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I have mixed emotions on the cuts. On one hand I know that there are some people who are barely surviving on what they get and yet on the other I know families who eat very well indeed on what they get. My one daughter was on food stamps for several years. She would take the entire amount and spend it at the beginning of the month on whatever she wanted and then would whine toward the end because they were having trouble feeding the kids. She didn't bother to try and get the best deal each week, stock up on loss leaders, etc. For a family of 4 she was getting $600 and said it wasn't enough. She would have been complaining to everyone who would be listening about how they took HER money away from her and her kids. Now that her dh has a full time job and she has money coming in you should here her complain about how much comes out in taxes! Duh who does she think paid for her Food Stamps?
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Yes, an elderly woman living on ss who barely eats as it is will notice. Is it time to hear about the fake nails and Escalades again so soon?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I can understand being upset - when I think of trying to cut my food budget by even just $20-40 a month, it's hard. I've got two growing boys and not having enough food on hand for them - that would be a riot (well, if two kids can be a riot! lol).

But to riot over it? That's just ridiculous. That's not worth rioting over. Yes, it would be hard to cut money from my food budget if I had to, but if I shopped sales, planned carefully, stock up on things so that I don't have to buy them at full price, I could do it. And at the risk of sounding snotty, anybody could do that. Yes, it might mean you change what/how you eat to a degree, or you eat a little less, but you make do with what you have. Rioting, or even complaining about it, isn't going to change anything, so you make it work. And to be clear, my budget is super tight. I'm not some rich bitch looking down on people and saying they should suck it up.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2013