Packing a salad for lunch- dressing on in morning or bring separate?

Thinking about bringing salads to work with me for lunch and can't figure out if putting the dressing on in the morning is good idea or if it is supposed to be kept separate. Dumb question I know but I see a lot of 'salad kits' that seem to have separate dressing containers....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Separate, definitely. You don't want a soggy mess of a salad by lunch time.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Separate. Unless it's coleslaw. ;0)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 3:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• separate. Container store had earlier this a bowl ,the top had a cup thing in it .You fill it with dressing.Then you push down on the cup thing and the dressing falls out and you shake.My husband and teen loves them.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 3:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Keep it separate. Salt in the dressing draws moisture from the rest of the salad and makes it wilted.

Answer by Bmat at 3:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I like to use taller, more narrow containers (like mason jars). I put the dressing in the bottom, then cover with things like carrots, broccoli, a little cheese, peppers... the heartier stuff. Top that with the lettuce or spinach. When ready to eat, shake. The other veggies and stuff make a barrier between the dressing and greens, so no soggy!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• It's always better to keep the dressing separate until shortly before you eat the salad.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Separate is always best but if you can not do that then the next best is to put the dressing in the bottom of the container and then layer the toppins according to what would be affected by the dressing the least so you might put in onions and peppers and then carrots and lastly the lettuce and shredded chees. The simply invert the Rubbermaid container and shake slightly and turn back over. Let drain a couple of seconds and you are good to go.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I have a salad tote I got from a school fundraiser at some point. Shaped more like a Tupperware tumbler, and the lid had a separate compartment for dressing. You open a patch and shake it when you're ready to eat.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Separate

Answer by louise2 at 5:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Seperate, unless you pack it like this.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2013