Help

Our older dog is 15 and occasionally has accidents.They are almost always in the same place near the utility room I put down pee pads and most of the time he hits them.I am 56 so have had several elderly dogs,these accidents are not an issue.Our six year old Australian Shephard mix from the shelter is the issue ,we got her five and a half years ago .She has always been housebroken till now.She seems now to think going in the house is ok.Fortunately she also goes near the utility room.
I was going to replace my tile in the kitchen ,breakfast room ,utility room with hard woods but am thankful I didn't.I clean up then Swiffer it with a Clorax-water combo.
I don't mind my elderly dog but what to do about the younger dog.
We have a large fenced yard .They are indoor out door dogs so outside plenty.
Help

drfink

Asked by drfink at 3:41 PM on Oct. 23, 2013 in Pets

• There is not much you can do. You have a "pack" of dogs and you are the alpha. The rest are all subservient to you but they are equal in pack status and what is ok for one is ok for the pack. It is not the older dog peeing and the aussie seeing it but the odor which is next to impossible to completely eliminate. Within the [pack animals are always jockeying to be a little more dominant one of the reasons dogs pees is to let others know this is their territory. It is also why one dog will have to pee where another has gone The only thing I can recommend id to be sure the aussie goes out more often.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:41 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• What Dardenella said. You might try spraying cheap shaving cream on the floor where the urine has been, letting it sit, then mopping it up. Shaving cream has enzymes in it that will break down urine and get rid of the odor residue. The problem is, if the accidents are ongoing, the odor will be as well. There may not be much you can do to stop the young dog from relieving herself in the house if the older one does it. Let them both out often, and don't spare the training pads.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2013