Health Insurance Options - what should I priortize?

So, my insurance is increasing more than double as of 1/1/14. So, I need to pick a different plan. One that is less expensive. But I am not sure if I have to give up something in order to get a lower premium what it should be.

The cheapest plan has no ER coverage and I have to hit a deductible of $12,000 for sick visits before they cover anything and there is no dental for me and DH.

The next expensive one has a bit of ER coverage and a bit better copay, but still the $12,000 deductible an no dental for me and DH.

I have contacted United Healthcare and they say they can keep their lower premium plans until 2014, but the reviews I have read on them are not good.

I am so confused and don't know what to do. Any help would be great.

AngZacc

Asked by AngZacc at 4:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2013 in Health

• They both sound like rotten options, but ER is better when the rest is mostly equal. Is the exchange an option for you? If your plan for an individual is more than 9% of your income, you can still use it even if you get employer insurance. The catch is the individual might be below 9% but the family plan isn't. Just one more thing they screwed up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I can't access the website to find out if I qualify or not. Still hoping for a one year delay from the government.
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Call an Insurance Broker & see what is your best option. To save money try to get a separate dental plan like EDP.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I can't access the website to find out if I qualify or not.

They have a phone number you can use if you can't log in, at least to get some basic info. They'll also register you online, but you may not catch all the full details of all the plans with someone telling you instead of having it on a screen.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• The Web site has been giving people big problems, and there are rumors that it isn't as secure as some would like you to believe. Personally, I'd opt for calling the phone number instead.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Too many variables. My work insurance for the family costs about $800/month. So I wouldn't be winning going that route...but I may have to go on work insurance as an individual so that my family could get a subsidy. I think that is how it would work. Not sure.

How do you find insurance brokers?
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• It's really hard to find a good deal on health insurance especially if you are under the budget. Individual coverage could be your best shot as you can't really save on family plan these days. Recently, I opted for indemnity health insurance as it seems okay for me.

thequest

Answer by thequest at 8:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Thanks. I need to call BCBS and just double check that there are not any other options out there for us.
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2013