my 1 year old wont wean completely from the formula.i have tried mixing it he like sthat but if u totally take it away he wont drink.any ideas?

my son is 15 mos and the dr says to wean johny f5rom formula and bottle.yeah right i cant get him completely off the formula let alone off the bottle.the sippie cup heacts as if he doesnt know how to use it

Asked by marisab at 8:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ok well for goin off formula start with 1/2 formula and 1/2 milk. after two or three days go to 3/4 milk and 1/4 formula two or three days later have only 1/8 cup formula in a bottle then just a tablespoon by then he won't notice going to milk. now for the bottle
    do it gradula the same way. give him one oz of the formula milk mixture in a cup and tell him he can have his bottle after he drinks it. every two days increase the amount he must drink to get a bottle

Answer by Lyndall at 10:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If you haven't already tried it, try warming up the milk a bit in the microwave. It might be the fact that it's cold that he doesn't like. Then when he's used to that start giving it to him cooler.

For the bottle weaning, try a couple steps...try one of those Nuby cups from walmart--it's got a silicone top and it's similar to the bottle....then once he gets the hang of that try a different type of sippy cup.

Answer by kittynala at 9:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You could try Soy Milk or Goats Milk. My nephew didn't like milk so my brother had to try different kinds. I think he liked the Soy Milk. I think there's another kind too but I'm not sure what it's called.

Answer by vano0528 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2008