My son is in second grade and they are asking him to addend for the next ten the numbers are 22 +49 what would be the answer?

I believe I gave you enough info before I want to apologize. Some of you considered my definition rude. I did no mean it to sound like that it is that in my confusion and not knowing enough English I tried to be brief.

Arodri9

Asked by Arodri9 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• before what?? You're not going to get much help giving attitude ;o(
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Addend for the next ten? *Blank stare.* Does the book say anything else?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:40 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Well, the definition of addend that I found on Google says it's a set of numbers to be added, so I'd guess they want him to add them? Of course, I also would have guessed that from the plus sign, but I'm weird like that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I do not do other people's homework.
    You school should have some sort of a hotline or website.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• The numbers 22 and 49 are the addends of the problem 22 + 49 = 71. You son will need to round the numbers 22 and 49 to the nearest ten. When rounding to the nearest ten, if the number in the ones place is less than five, you round down. If the number in the ones place is greater than five, you round up. For example, if this problem was 31 + 58, you would round 31 to 30 and 58 to 60. Then add 30+60= 90. The original problem before rounding would have been 31 + 58 = 89. This is a simpler way to estimate.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:46 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• * it's suppose to say "if the number in the ones place is fiver or greater, NOT if it is greater than five.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• He should ask his teacher if he needs help. You got your answer though. Now teach him how to get it himself.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• now we are tutors, soon enough we won't have any goals to shoot for in the occupation department.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Jeremy's Mom is right. Round the numbers off to the nearest ten and add them together. 22 is closest to 20 while 49 is closest to 50. 20 plus 50 = 70. If the number you are rounding ends in a 5 or greater, go up to the next ten place. If it is four or less, go down to the nearest ten place. Its just a way of looking at a problem and estimating what the answer should be...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Well, as much as I teach my kids to be independent thinkers, I also believe in helping with their homework so that I may teach them too. I also know what it's like to have a parent that didn't grow up in this country, has english as a second language, and did not know how to help me as well as "Suzy's" mother could help her. I am so surprised at the snotty, snide comments instead of some simple explanations or help. I thought this website was about moms/ women helping other moms/ women. My mistake.
    WhyPiggy

Answer by WhyPiggy at 9:29 AM on Oct. 24, 2013