Buying a home on back taxes...

There is a house I'm looking at, a little "fixer-upper".. But either way I thought when buying on back taxes - you purchased the house for taxes owed on it? Someone just told me that isn't true (really don't know if they know for sure though), they said that the house is appraised and you purchase it for the appraised amount.
Any one have experience?

**I'll be speaking with my attorney next week..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2013 in Home & Garden

• If the home is owned out right and the only thing that is owed is the tax lien, then you will pay the tax lein. If there was a mortgage on the house, then you will be paying for the tax lein, the mortgage, and anything that was behind on the mortgage. You can find out more about buying a home for back taxes- http://www.ehow.com/how_2157257_purchase-home-back-taxes.html

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• It depends on who is the holder of the property, the state or a bank. If it is the bank then it will be what ever is still owed, including the back taxes and there is usually transfer fees. The bank in this case is hoping to get you to make the property profitable to them by taking a loan out with them or purchasing it outright.
    If the listing is, that it is being sold for back taxes, it is likely held by the state and it will sell for the back taxes plus fees. These often come with restrictions, such as how soon the property must be made livable or torn down. Sometimes the will have a restriction that you must live in the home (yourself) for a certain number of years.
    Your lawyer will be able to get the information for you and advise you of the property laws in your state.

It has been a good long while since I have dealt with any of this and states differ and things may have changed.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Here's a link to how it works in California. http://homeguides.sfgate.com/buy-tax-lien-property-california-52715.html  Your state may have a different process.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• No bank to my knowledge. The auditor/treasure has taken over.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:58 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• It depends if there is a mortgage on the property and whether it is being sold by a realtor or at a public auction. If a public auction there is a predetermined amount or opening bid this will generally not include the taxes. If it is owned by the bank it is considered a short sale. Again, a predetermined amount is set but there is wiggle room on the offer/s given. A short sale will also take longer to obtain possession on the property as they are open and hoping for multiple offers as close to the unpaid mortgage amount as possible.
    decor42

Answer by decor42 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2013