Need advice from someone who knows about hair coloring.

I have dark brown hair and last month while on vacation i went to get my hair colored. I wanted a nice burgundy brown, something different.  It came out so dark.   You can see the redness a little only in the sunlight.  Besides from that, it's DARK, and nobody can even tell it was colored.  I can't go back to the shop because i am no longer on vacation in that state.  So, i want to try the John Freida foam hair color.  I see it has great reviews.  I found a color i love, its dark red brown.  Will it take since i already have color on my hair??  Please help!

http://www.johnfrieda.com/en-US/homecolour/precision-foam-colour/Radiant-Red/4R/Radiant-Red-Dark-Red-Brown

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• I took a quick look at the web link. The charts they are showing is for non- colored hair.

If it keeps being too dark, switch to a lighter color and see how that goes. Do NOT attempt to do this yourself. You could end up with green hair or "dead" hair. Have a test sample of the color you want done on the underside of the nape of your neck so you see what color you will end up with. Have fun !! :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Perhaps they need to lighten your hair and then color it?
    Anonymous

• You realize that is a DARK red brown, right? That's why it coming out dark especially if your hair already dark. Hair color doesn't lighten you hair color.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• You can't remove color with color, and color remover is NOT something you want to use at home. You really need to go to a salon for color correction.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Thank you! I just have no luck. Been trying to get that color for years, and every salon i go to gives me the same results. It just comes out very dark. Supposedly they are color specialists. I just dont understand.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• depends on if the new color is darker than the old one or not...
    if not- nope-it won't work
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• you know i have the same problem when i try to go red. although, i do it myself with a box color. the thing is, i'm scared to go too bright red and have it be noticeably fake, so the reddest i've gone is a Sangria. like you i'm also a brunette and my hair is pretty dark so the red never really shows unless i'm in the sun. i think i'll start gradually buying lighter reds until i get the results i want. hair color only lasts a month on me so as long as i don't royally screw it up i don't mind being stuck with it temporarily.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2013