Will a therapist report to the guardian if a child is doing drugs?

I'm worried about my little brother and drug use. I'm wondering if he confided in his therapist about using if she would report that to me. I know they have to tell me if he's hurting himself or someone else etc does drug use fall in that category? I'm going to talk to her about it in the next 'parent' session but that isn't until next week and I've been thinking about it all day so I was just wondering if anyone on here knows the answer

AllyB_

Asked by AllyB_ at 1:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• DH (a therapist in training) says there is no legal obligation unless it is heavy drug use that is leading to other deviant behaviors. smoking pot w/ friends doesnt count, but stealing from you to buy drugs or having an addiction, yes. he did say that its not breaking confidentiality for them to tell the guardian about drug use...it really depends on the therapist and the child and the severity of the drug use.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• ok I will ask his therapist specifically about his situation, thank you!
    AllyB_

Comment by AllyB_ (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I was going to say. Might just want toask the therapist?

Answer by louise2 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Not necessarily.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:39 AM on Oct. 24, 2013