Can children have food containing peanuts/nuts before age one??

I recently read an article on how there are more and more kids that have food allergies because they are not being introduced certain food before the age of one. I was wondering if anyone else heard about that or if they talked to their pediatrician about it.

KayliesMommy403

Asked by KayliesMommy403 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They can, but it's not a good idea. It's recommended to wait until the child is at least one before introducing peanuts or nuts, and if there are any food allergies in the family, it's prudent to wait until age 2 for peanuts.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It wouldn't be wise!
    Anonymous

• That's the problem with reading ARTICLES. You don't get all the facts...just the ones the author wants you to have.

Anonymous

• That article is incorrect then. Exposing them to a common allergen before the age of one is usually what causes allergies. It's best to wait until closer to 5 years of age to give a child peanut products. It is such a common allergen, you need to give their body time to grow and strengthen before you attack it with that type of food.
    Anonymous

• No it's not a good idea. I beleive the main stuff that they are not supposed to have are peanuts/nuts, any kind of fish, or strawberry's. I could be wrong on the strawberry's though. But fish and nuts def NOT. The reason being is because most of the reactions caused by these foods CAN and WILL swell their throat closed. Those foods carry the most serious reactions. By age one they believe their bodies to be more strong to be able to handle the reaction better.
    luv4adrianna

Answer by luv4adrianna at 3:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I am allergic to berries of all sorts and my daughter is on a food allergy diet.We slowly introuded the things her peditrician oked.She has had wheat and eggs and also berries.WE have chosen not to give her nuts or shellfish until the age of about 5.Being cautious.I have a severe reaction that started when i was 17 and causes my throat to close.I am just worried about that same thing happening to my child.Sure i don't have the convenience to make a pbj for lunch in front of my DD but it is worth the wait to me.

ilovemylilymae

Answer by ilovemylilymae at 3:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I also did hear that from a daycare lady. She said she read the article and to me it just makes sense. 10 years ago there werent as many peanut allergies as there is today because there was never a concern for it back then about eating it before the age of one. But you just gotta go by what you think.
    mommyofone15

Answer by mommyofone15 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• More kids with allergies because there are MORE KIDS.
    Anonymous

• My DIL was told don't do it by her doctor. She said that it would increase the change of allergies to peanut products.

Answer by Bmat at 3:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I've read that too. Newer research is showing a lower incidence of allergies later in life of children who were introduced to highly allergic foods earlier than age 1. However, since the common practice right now is to hold off...I suspect the pool of children studied has been pretty small. I would do what your doctor tells you to do until the medical field has come to a new consensus.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2009