What do you feel are the biggest contradictions in the bible?

I know there are several but curious what others find to be the biggest ones.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 24, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Honestly I feel the biggest contradiction is trying to read it as though it is a literal, historical-factual account. The other contradictions are easy to understand if we remember each passage was written in its own time, with its own audience and context, etc. The Bible wasn't written to be understood as though it was written in a vacuum or as though the events actually happened. It's a mix of theology, eponym, social/political commentary, mythos, narrative, and so on.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• sinners that believe are going to heaven, good people that don't are going to hell.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• oh and let's not forget- don't judge, but homosexuality is wrong & they're all going to burn.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I agree tnm. Those two scream out to me as well.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• The Old Testament vs The New Testament deity. In The Old Testament he's a vengeful, everybody fear me or be smited, rather petty deity. In The New Testament this same deity is supposed to have don a 180 flip and be all loving and caring and about as polar opposite as he/she/it was in The Old Testament.

I don't like two faced people in real life, and I just can't honor or believe in a deity that is the same.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:30 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• "Thou shalt not kill" but, then in the Old Testament there are examples of acceptable killings.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:33 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I agree with Bandgeek and Rosehawk. Plus you have to really stretch things to fit Jesus fulfilling all the prophecies of the OT for being the Messiah.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:34 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I think the contradictions come with the interpretation and in translation. It's not a history textbook, it is a storybook designed to teach certain lessons.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• LOVE your avi, anime_mom, haha ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2013

• "LOVE your avi, anime_mom, haha ;) "

:D
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 24, 2013