Child wrongfully removed from family because she "didn't look like them"

Seven-year-old girl taken into care did belong to Roma family in Ireland

Apparently the authorities were all fired up from the story about the little girl in Greece, so took it upon themselves to remove the girl because she's blond and blue eyed, and her parents aren't.  Now that they've done DNA tests PROVING those are her parents, she's going home.

This is Ireleand, completely different legal and social services system at play here, but how screwed up is this kid going to be after this?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't blame them for doing that, really. Sense their kin in Greece did what they did. Just being overly protective I say. I do not think it will hurt the kid in the long run.

Answer by louise2 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Their are a lot of brown haired parent here in the USA. With blond kids.. Wonder if we are going to do the same thing. And people who adopt other race kids too.

Answer by louise2 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• What I read was after the 5 year old who does not share the Roma parents DNA came to light (Maria)

other families have come under the scrutiny of the authorities. Some wrongfully. In the case in this article a knee jerk reaction.
    Would the child be traumatized? Perhaps, and probably.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I think the authorities in Greece did the right thing, I hadn't heard of this case before.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• They are Travelers. They up & move in the night. Better they took the child into safety for a week then doing a DNA test, waiting for results & the kid disappears. Better safe than sorry. How do you think Parents of abducted children feel every day? They mostly never get their child back.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• How do you think Parents of abducted children feel every day? They mostly never get their child back.

You make it sound like travellers, and btw they're Roma, not travellers, have magic powers. They have cell phones and vehicle registrations and, in this case, live somewhere with surveillance on every corner. Are you suggesting you'd be ok with your kids being torn away from your home because someone thought they looked different than you?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I have mixed feelings about this. I feel bad for the parents but, at the same time, I do feel like the authorities thought they were doing what was best for the child.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• We keep getting that reaction because my son doesn't look like my husband. My son looks like me,blond/blue eyed,and pale. my husband is brown/brown
    We joke that we should get a DNA test done,and he can carry a copy in his wallet

This reaction is such BS. What if the kid is adopted? What if they resemble a grandparent?
    That poor child.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I have a child who does not look like me. I would hate if she was removed from my care because I am Asian and she is white with blond hair and blue eyes. I don't disagree with being concerned if there is suspicion of wrong doing. Surely there is a away to respectfully request evidence that this child is your child without disrupting family life if there is enough information to suggest it is needed. Based only on appearance is simply ignorant. My daughter would be devastated and would not do well if this occurred to us.
    Anonymous

• I am not argueing with you. I stand by my opinion of this particular case in regards to the "family" involved.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2013