Should a church group turn atheists away from volunteering?

I just read of a church ministry group in SC that told atheists to stop giving out socks and other items to the poor because the people wanting food from their soup kitchen do not want the a devil to give them hand outs. The executive director said she would rather no one be served if it meant atheists were to volunteer. I see that as UN Christian like to turn away volunteers who are giving warm clothes to the poor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2013 in Religious Debate

• A christlike group should not. A politically motivated, only "Christian" when it's convenient group would be going against their "morals" if they didn't.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• So atheists are devil worshiper?! HM! Didn't know that.
    We can fix that. Open our own soup kitchen food/ cloths bank

Answer by louise2 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Atheist do not mind helping every one. Sound like some religious people do.

Answer by louise2 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• absolutely not, I'm Christian and I think that's bogus
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 3:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Wait, there are atheists in SC??

Not surprising, really. I lived there for many years, and the fundies can really be a close-minded bunch.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:24 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I'm Christian and I'd be thankful for any help I could get, if I were in charge of something like that.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• How sad, and a lose-lose all around. The poor lose out on the clothes and services that were turned away, the atheists lose out on an opportunity to volunteer and do something good and worthwhile, and the church loses out on much-needed help. Oh, and the executive director obviously lost out on common sense and compassion when they were being handed out ...
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I think the issue here is expecting conversion in exchange for compassion, which we see often with "aid" given by Christian organizations. Catch 'em when they're at their most fragile or lowest, dontchya know ;)

If Atheists are involved in the acts of compassion it deters the hopes for conversion the organizations may be hoping for. Because it's not enough to do the right thing for others without expecting some sort of result in return. There's got to be some sort of bottom line or catch...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• link?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2013