Enough blame to go around for everyone in this one

Forest Grove fatal crash: Records say driver intentionally drove over leaf pile, soon learned she'd struck child

The short version - teenage girl driving around at 8:30 at night drives through a pile of leaves in the road.  Feels a bump and doesn't stop, later learns there were kids lying in the pile.  Kids died from their injuries.

Do you let your kids play in the road?  Do you let them play in the dark?  Obviously, this girl is responsible for trying to hide what happened after she found out about the kids, but I can't help wondering why those kids were there that late to begin with, nor  can I see any situation where playing in a pile of leaves in the street is ever safe.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• No, no, and I agree.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• That's just sad all around. Here, the Town tells us (if you don't have a Gardener) to pile your leaves at the curb in the road in bags or not. Kids will be kids. It's just too tempting to jump in.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Oh, No & no here too.
    ILovemyPaulie

• It didn't say anything about the kids parents getting in trouble for letting the kids play in the street. The people in the car should get in trouble for not stoping and see what they drove over. And the lying . But not the death of the kids. That should fall on the parents. For letting them play in the street.

Answer by louise2 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I agree she's wrong for trying to cover it up, but who the hell lets their kids lay in a pile of leaves in the road?! To me, the parents of the poor girls take most of the blame here. The pile of leaves was in the road, how was a driver supposed to have any idea they shouldn't drive through it? And if the girls were hidden by the leaves, then it would seem the driver would have no way of knowing they were in there. It doesn't excuse her driving off after hearing the bump, and trying to hide what happened later, but the parents should be held mostly responsible for allowing their children to play in there to begin with.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Why the hell would you ever let a child play in the road, especially when they are intentionally concealing themselves???? I know the driver has some responsibility, but the parents need to accept some too
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Um, playing in the street any time of day is a no-no in my house. Playing in the street when it's dark outside would mean more than a little trouble for my kids. They know they're supposed to tell me what they're doing and where they're going when they walk out the door. And believe me, if they walked out that door at night to play, they'd get their asses chewed for even considering doing such a thing.

I girl shouldn't have driven off after hearing a bump, but still... she couldn't have known there were kids in those leaves.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• This is so sad
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• My God, people are so stupid! It's a wonder the human race has survived this long. The parents who let the kids hide themselves in a pile of leaves in the road, in the dark, should be charged with serious neglect or endangerment resulting in the deaths of children. That being said, the teenage girl also should have stopped. I've been in a vehicle that ran over a person, and that "bump" is like nothing else you'd ever feel. It still gives me chills almost thirty years later to think about it. She was wrong for not immediately investigating, and I expect she'll never get that "bump" out of her nightmares.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Agreed
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2013