Have any of you had a gallstone/gallbladder surgery while pregnant?

Have you or someone you know/knew had a gallstone or gallbladder surgery while pregnant?
How far along were you?
Was it scary?
How did it turn out for you and your baby?
Did you have any other complications as a result?

ElsaH

Asked by ElsaH at 3:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Have you or someone you know/knew had a gallstone or gallbladder surgery while pregnant? I have

How far along were you? I was 9 weeks when I got my first attack, and 18 weeks along when we had to remove it. We tried to wait but I was eating a very very low fat diet and still ending up in the ER because I couldn't keep down the pain meds and the nausea meds weren't doing enough.

Was it scary? I'm not a very emotional or exitable person...I guess what i mean is I tend to shut off my emotions in time of stress or emergency. So I can't say I was too terrified but it was a bit scary.

How did it turn out for you and your baby? I went in to surgery in the morning all went very good, the plan was to monitor for a few hours afterwards to make sure I didn't start having contractions(surgery can induce pre term labor). I didn't have any, but was having some trouble controlling

Cont.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Cont.

Trouble controlling the pain with just oral meds, I was still needing iv meds. So I stayed overnight and left the next day. My son was just fine, I did have some complications later on unrelated to the surgery but he was fairly healthy.

Did you have any other complications as a result? no none, my complications later on had nothing to do with the surgery.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• My mom found out she was pregnant with me right after her surgery 40+ years ago.

I knew a girl who had her appendix out while she was well into her 2nd trimester. She was concerned about the surgery, but it was something that couldn't be put off. Everything was fine afterwards.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I had an appendectomy at almost 6 months, I was already hospitalized with other complications, I came thru surgery fine,my son did well. He has issues unrelated to the surgery and complications
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 5:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I was dx'ed with gallstones during my pregnancy, but they didn't want to do anything til after I delivered. I was about 28 weeks at that point. After I gave birth they no longer bothered me, so they decided to do nothing. Nine years later and I'm still fine.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Thank you so much for responding with your stories! Its nice to hear from real people about the real situations as opposed to stories and ifs.
    ElsaH

Comment by ElsaH (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• allbladder problems are fairly common among pregnant women. I didn't have my first attack till five weeks after my baby was born, but the overwhelming pain had me scared that I was going to die an someone else would be raising my child. I had te surgery a month or so later, and everything was fine, except I had to pump off my breastmilk and dump it down the sink. That was hard because I had the best day of milk production ever, before or since, and it all went down the drain. I wish you good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• You seem to be having a whole lot of problems during your pregnancy. Hope it gets better for you.
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 11:03 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• yeahhh, they said that I lost too much weight from being morning sick at the beginning. But the baby started moving a lot and ive felt it on both the inside, which tickled so much that it made me jump, and the outside which felt like i was holding butterflies in my hand. the baby is doing great, my body just isnt taking the hits all that well. i havent had a gallstone attack in a few days though so i think (and hope) its getting better. a GI specialist put me on an antacid in case my stomach is making the gallstones worse with acid reflux or something. since then its pretty much gone away, but they still want me to consult with a gallbladder surgeon. now im just afraid to eat much of anything in fear of setting it off again. so its healthy foods in small portions, and repeat.
    ElsaH

Comment by ElsaH (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2013