Would it be better to buy felt protector pads for my furniture or make them from felt at a craft store?

I'm not sure how heavy duty of felt I can buy and how I would glue them on myself, but I don't want to buy the felt protector pad kits in store if they are going to fall apart or fall off...

Decisions Decisions.

What do you have for floor protectors on your furniture?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I've had so-so luck with the stick on felt ones (OK for the coffee table, useless for the dining chairs,) but I have never seen the type of felt they use for them for sale at a craft shop. The best things I've found are hammer-in fabric-covered feet that I got at Home Depot or Lowe's.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Thanks- I have never looked for the felt I was just assuming it would be there and it IS for the dining room chairs. With four people in the house I'm doubting the adhesive would stick too. I've got 6 chairs to do and don't want to spend a fortune. The choices I've seen in store aren't that impressive. I was thinking about going to Lowe's and seeing if they had more options than Target or BB&B.

I think if I tried to superglue felt it would just crinkle too. I've been using washclothes on the legs with hair ties holding them on but they're not working anymore and look pretty stupid.

Caster cups are an option too but I am thinking the chair would fall off of them.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I was also thinking of getting heavy duty footie jammies at a thrift shop and cutting off the feet to see if those would work, but I feel bad cutting up clothing. I have a lot of bad ideas for this- I just need something that will work.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I have the stick on felt pads on my counter chairs. They are super sticky when placed on a flat surface. They never fell off. They are thick. I bought them at Home Depot. They come in all sizes & you can also cut them to fit too. You could use baby socks too instead of feetie PJ's.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I think the socks would pose the same problem after a while as the washcloths did- they just get thinner and thinner til they aren't doing any good. Socks would have been much easier to get on though!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• The protectors you buy will be thicker and denser than any felt you can buy at the craft store unless it is for that purpose and you just cut it to size. I have never seen it in my craft stores but it is possible. You may need better scissors.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I get the stick on stuff that you can cut to size. I have to put them on the feet of the couch and the loveseat so they don't scratch up the wood floors. The felt is really dense. The only problem I have had has been using them on furniture that I tend to move a lot (like kitchen table and chairs). They won't stay on that stuff very well unless you have wooden legs and then you can get the felt pads that you nail into the feet. I have those on the bar stools and those work pretty well.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2013