How to stop my son from peeing and pooping his pants

My son is now 2 1/2 and was peeing and pooping in the toilet and then all of a sudden he has started going in his pants again. He will just sit there and pee his pants and then tell you, and then will do the same with pooping. And when you ask him if he needs to go to the bathroom he will say no and then pee/poop his pants. If you put him on the toilet he will pee but he refuses to put even when he has something to occupy his time. I am at a lost

elizabethesmith

Asked by elizabethesmith at 9:24 PM on Oct. 24, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hang in there and just keep trying... I think that's pretty normal for his age... They can regress. Usually that's because YOU are the one that is trained... NOT him. Good luck.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Yeah, sounds like he's not ready. try putting him on the toilet facing the tank. For some reason this worked well for us! ? Maybe it's just us...but what you describe happens a lot.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Honestly it was a challenge trying to potty train my daughter. We tried early and it ended up taking over a year. Our big problem was poop too. I was sitting her on the potty every 20 minutes and if she did something in it she got a candy. After awhile she didn't need to be coxes to pee, she only got candy for pooping. If I saw her do the poop face I put on the potty whether she liked it or not an made her sit, once she poope and got her candy she was happy. After a week she wanted to poop on the potty, then I went cold turkey and got rid of pull ups. That was a few months ago and she has only had a handful of accidents. Still in a pull up at night.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• You ask if he needs to go and then take him or just take him a regular intervals
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Set a timer and have him go every thirty minutes for a while, when it sounds off. Make the timer the enforcer of time, not you. Be very matter-of-fact about it; the timer went off, let's go.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• He's TWO. He's not ready to fully toilet right now. It's NORMAL to have some regression. Just keep taking him every 30 minutes or so and have him sit for a minute or two. Praise him if he does something in the potty. Just know that some boys won't toilet train until the age of four. There's no need to rush him.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2013