Improvement

A while ago I asked some questions about getting kids to eat veggies and other things. Just thought I should let you know that in the 2 weeks they have been out of daycare they have done so well! I really think daycare was the probably, they don't make them try things and basically the kids can eat whichever part of the meal and eat as much as they want. One time DD ate 5 dinner rolls, 4 servings of fruit and nothing else.

Her BMI is already improving (it was 99%). Plus both kids are eating veggies every day and learning what portion sizes are. They are so used to asking for more over and over and it just being given to them that they don't understand. DS still asks for more 2 or 3 times, but has won't ever finish. We made a rule that they can "more" once and that's it. DD still has times that she doesn't want to eat whatever veggies I made, but she has eaten more veggies in the last 2 weeks than she has in months. They also can't have more of anything unless they eat everything on their plate first. I am so happy! This is working so well for us! DD's BMI is down to 92%.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 11:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2013 in General Parenting

• I'm glad your kids are having better diets. I'm surprised the daycare was letting the little ones make food choices they aren't equipped with the knowledge or judgment to make.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• I am so glad things are improving. You rock!
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• That is great news!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2013

• Good to hear that your kids are doing better. Military installations STILL make me shake my head in wonder; especially those overseas.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• You'd think with it being a military day care, they could instill a little good old-fashioned discipline for Pete's sake! That's ridiculous. At least you are making some progress w/ the veggies. Keep up the good work mama :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:21 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• UM the daycare on base is absolutely ridiculous. I had to get a doctor to sign a note for my children to have water instead of juice! The first 2 weeks of daycare DD had excessive diarrhea because she was getting juice 3 or 4 times a day, and when I asked if they could give her water they told me I needed a doctors note! Are you kiddin me? They had a note from a doctor saying DS was allergic to dairy, they gave him soy milk, but were still giving him cream cheese, yogurt, and other dairy products! They can't tell them no, so if my kids wants to eat 5 pieces of bread (not even wheat or whole grain) and no meat or veggies, they let her. They also count potatoes as veggies so French fries count as a veggie. My friends son had 15 cookies for snack once! Yet they say their menu is approved by nutritionists, well maybe when given in the right portions. 1 cookie is fine, 15 is not!
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• They can't tell them no? Why not?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:04 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• It's against their rules to tell the children no, and they get no discipline whatsoever. They can't even do time outs. My child acted a fool there because she knew nothing would happen. They day she learned I couldn't even punish her in there was the worst. She was running out the front door I told her to stop 3 times. I ha to set DS down an chase her. I tried to put her in time out but she started kicking and screaming. My friend offered to stand with DS while I took her t the bathroom and a woman ran out of a nearby office yelling "you can't spank in here!" Dd learned right there that if she didnt want to comply with time out I couldn't do a damn thing about it. She through tantrums every single that I picked her up. She got spanked in the car.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 1:21 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Yikes!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:46 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Yea, we always had the rule. No seconds tell you eat everything on your plate. They only got water at dinner too. Kids will not fill up on water. Like cool aid or juice.

Answer by louise2 at 8:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2013