Not taking my kids trick or treat?

Am I really a bad mom for not taking my 1 and 2 year old trick or treating... I am getting so many rude comments and crap from people when they ask me what my children are being for Halloween and I say we aren't going....

I love Halloween - I always have.. But I have a lot of reasons for not taking them yet, but I don't feel I should be called a bad or mean mom because we aren't going trick or treating (we still celebrate), they have no idea what trick or treating even is yet..

I think this is more of a vent because it is making me feel bad that people are so quick to judge me over it..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Oct. 25, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are not a bad mom for not taking them door to door trick or treating at two! It's stressful to them at that age. A kid's halloween event or something is ok. But traditional trick or treating is for 3 and up imho.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:08 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• We didn't take my son trick or treating until he was 3 and even then we only hit a couple blocks. We dressed him up when he was 2, but just took him to the mall. Screw what other people have to say. Ignore them.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• We try to make the right choices for our families at the right times.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:09 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• At 1 and 2? They are not going to remember whether you took them or not. Even if they were 11 and 12 I wouldn't think you were a bad mom, but they might.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:10 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• I wouldn't take them at that age. No way.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• You are not a bad mom. We took ours at 2 and 10 months (well really the baby was just dressed up and being carted around by mommy). Dd loved it, but she is a very social little girl. We were only out for about 30 minutes though, and she didn't eat hardly any candy. It was just fun for her because of her personality. If she weren't a social little girl, we would not have gone at all. Tell them to shove it.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• That is stupid! A lot of little kids are scared to go trick or treating and they wouldn't remember it anyway. You should dress them up anyway though. They have the cutest costumes for that age.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:14 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Who cares what anyone else thinks!
    You raise your babies the way you feel is right for you!
    One and Two is still pretty young IMO.

I actually HATE Halloween myself! I dread this day every year!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 12:15 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Thank so much.. SO glad I came on here, I feel better. I thought about letting them get inexpensive costumes and having a Halloween Night with them, with kid Halloween movies (oldest loves the new Curious George Halloween Movie), some homemade Halloween snacks, and stuff. But I'd probably be luck to keep him in a costume once he knows it is almost bed time he takes all of his clothes off and won't sleep unless they stay off :| lol..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• You're not a bad mom. You're sensible. I didn't let my daughter start trick-or-treating till she was three. I really felt that she needed to be walking well, talking, and understanding a little about what she was supposed to be doing before it would be fun for her.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:44 AM on Oct. 25, 2013