Depression ... is this it?

I am a long term member but I went anonymous for this just in case one of my family members or friends who is on here happens upon this question ...

In the past 10 years, it has been one blow after another. The death of several close family members, two just this year alone. Devastating health news for my husband and job loss because of his severe health problems. Natural disaster that destroyed family keepsakes and heirlooms. 

I have gone from active, showering every day, getting out of the house, involved with a few local volunteer groups to showering a few times a week and only going out when I have to go buy groceries. I have had my hair dye for about 4 months and have not used it yet (but that is good for my hair) and I have a serious gray streak showing. 

I have no insurance (no, not even that ACA crap) because I just don't have the extra money. We are barely making our bills as it is. They are paid but nothing left. So no doctor. I do use natural supplements and for the last month or so I have been taking St. John's Wort (nature's prozac, right) but can't much of a difference. Anyway, aside from the afore mentioned losses, I have been going through peri-menopause for the last 5 years or so. You know - hot flashes, insomnia, huge clumps of hair coming out, mood swings from hell, and unpredictable periods (here, not here for 4 months, hell, not here - you get the idea). 

I recognize that I have a problem but I really don't know what to do about it. Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Oct. 25, 2013 in Health

• I'm not sure that I'm reading depression so much as being overwhelmed here. Hopefully GirlWithC will check in because she's really the expert on this.

That said: Have you tried contacting your creditors to make payment arrangements for your bills? I've been in the "one paycheck from disaster" situation and the best thing I ever did was make arrangements with every one of our creditors.

Also call 211 to see what resources are available in your community. There are counseling resources that won't cost, and it might just help you to make that contact. If you're a member of a church, talk with your pastor, who likely has already noticed something going on.

Sometimes you have to "fake it till you make it." If you're not doing things because you don't have the gas money, OK. But sometimes you have to tell yourself "I don't want to" is not an acceptable response and make yourself get up and going in the morning.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Aww- hugs mama.  That's a lot for anyone to have to go thru.  I think it would get to anyone.  The important thing is that you recognize it & want to help get yourself out of it.  The combination of your hormones being out of whack & then adding some depression is a challenge when you don't have insurance.  Can you call your local United Way (211) & get a referral for some counseling?  How about forcing yourself to get out & take a walk.  They say that exercise is a good way to lift your spirits b/c of the endorphines.  Meet a friend for lunch or a walk in the park.  They've also proven a girls' night out is good for the soul (Not kidding)  Prayer or meditation could be helpful too.  I hope you find what works for you.  Oh, & don't forget the chocolate! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Time to just get out and walk around the block. Sometime you just have to push yourself to do thing. Like, dig yourself out of that hole you are in.

Answer by louise2 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• I would say, yes, you're depressed, but I'm not a doctor.

If you can, add a supplement called SAMe and add Vitamin D to your daily supplements. Those should help. Also taking a daily walk will help. It doesn't have to be a long walk, esp. at the beginning. Just 15 minutes outside walking will begin to help.

Do you belong to a church of some kind? If you do, talk to your pastor or elders. Often, your pastor is equipped to offer counseling for no fee as part of his duties. If this is not the case, there are therapists who offer their services on a sliding scale. You just have to look for them.

Good luck, honey. You can pull out of this.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Sometimes other things mask themselves as depression which is more of a blanket term. What you could be experiencing is a little PTSD which, unfortunately, pretty much happens to everyone. No one said life is easy.... life is tough. You have to be tougher to survive it. It sounds like you need an outside interest to keep your mind busy. A busy mind is less likely to get you down. Maybe get out and get a job. That always gets me going. It sets you in a routine and gets your mind flowing again.

Medication is not always the answer. Most medications will carry side effects which can actually be worse than how you are feeling now. Take walks, meditate, learn Yoga, take hot baths, etc. Put your mind in a different state. Also, look into Hypnotherapy. It helped me WITHOUT medications.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:27 AM on Oct. 25, 2013

• It sounds to me, based on my own depression symptoms, like you might have something going on. You've been through a lot. Sometimes there are low-cost counseling and medical options available by calling the health department of the county where you live. Some people have success with an over-the-counter supplement called St. John's Wort.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/st-johns-wort

I've battled depression all of my adult life. By far, the most effective coping approach I've found is to set one goal, even if it's small, when I get up in the morning. Maybe it's to take a shower that day. Maybe it's to clean the living room. I push myself to achieve that goal. Often, once I get momentum going, it's easier to keep moving, and I feel a little better because I've accomplished something.

Hang in there, Mom. Sometimes all you can do is keep putting one foot in front of the other.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2013