Is this misleading or was it just me?

The other day I noticed a sign outside LUBY'S cafeteria we never go there as much but it's ok they have good food. Anyway the sign says....WED. After 4:00 kids eat FREE when you purchase an adult plate.
OK so my thought was I buy an adult plate and one or two of my kids eat free, so we go in there and I order my adult plate and my ds12 gets his food and my dd10 ordered hers.
Well at the cashiers end she has my total $25.89...lol I'm like...don't kids eat free (feeling really stupid for asking) she says no bc your ds has an adult plate and your dd10 is good she has the child's blue plate. I'm like in my mind this is stupid but ok so I pay.
I was not in the mood to start some drama even though I understood the sign the way it read...I could be wrong.
So ladies how would you have handled it or should I make a complaint?
Thanks for reading & responding ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I would have expected to pay for one of my children bc those deals are always one child per adult. But the sign should have said that in smaller letters along the bottom as they usually do
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• If I am wanting to partake in that kind of promotion I make sure they know it when we are ordering so that there is no confusion. I would wonder what age an idividual is considered a 'child'. I think your DD's meal should have been free. Maybe the next time you should ask for the manager.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• im lost...did you get DD's for free or not? you said "she's good" like you go it for free, but then the price seems pretty high for 2 adult plates. usually those promotions are one adult meal = one free kids meal. plus, your son didnt order from the kids menu so he's not a "kid", and usually by 12/13 most places no longer count them as kids anyways. so what am i missing?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• When I went in. I would have asked the waiter about the sign. Because some time kids have to be under a certain age to get those prices, or get certain plates of food.

Answer by louise2 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• In a case like that, I do what louise2 said above. I make sure what I can get for free with my meal before I order.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Yeah, I would have asked for clarification from the very beginning. Other than that I would ASSUME one child sized plate per adult meal. If your son ordered a regular dinner that was not considered "child plate", it would not apply to their rules.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• I now IHOP has something similar. Buy one adult plate and one kid (12 and under) eats free. The caveat is that he child has to order off a special kids menu, separate from the kids' section on the regular menu.

Based on the sign, I would have expected to pay for MY meal, my son's meal, and my daughter's meal be free. I might call, ask to talk to a manager, and ask for clarification about the sign.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2013