How would you handle "bullying"?

Even though in some cases are worse than others (sadly) but in our situation my ds12 is 5'7 and in football but not that great in this sport but he has fun. Well my dh told me today that our ds is getting verbally bullied by a boy who is shorter than him. (Not sure if that matters but this is what he told my dh) he also told my dh not to tell me (I don't know why).

Anyway I told my dh the only thing I can say or do for him is to ignore the guy and report him to the counselor's office. And only IF this boy tries to hit him my ds has the right to defend himself but we do not encourage physical fighting.

What would you do ladies?
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Not sure that is really considered bullying. My idea of bullying seems to be a bit different than many these days. Your son is older and should be able to either ignore the kid or as children have always done in the past, defend himself. I don't buy into the whole "bullying", let's cry about it routine. Kids have got to learn to toughen up or literally they will die in this world. It's a tough world... they have to know how to handle it without their mommies involvement....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• What kind of things is he saying to your DS? If they are threats then I would take those serious and report it to the school and see how they handle it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Thanks ladies for your responses but I am not sure what is being said all I know is this boy is quick on his come backs and I guess my ds is feeling left like he has nothing to come back with...IDK.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• I would go & speak to the Coach first. I would ask him to reiterate during practice that there will be no bullying (verbal or physical) allowed. Sometimes kids need to be reminded. My Son's school has assembly's regularly on no bullying allowed & they have no bully days where everyone wears purple.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Bullying doesn't have to be physical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's the official procedure at your child's school?? Report it to administrators ASAP!!! I am hip deep in this at the school I work in.... if your school fails to act you can take legal action!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Definition: Bullying is defined as the repeated and intentional use by one or more students of a written, 

verbal, or electronic expression or a physical act or gesture or any combination thereof, directed 

at a victim. Bullying is characterized by an imbalance of physical, psychological or emotional 

power, that: 

• Causes physical or emotional harm to the target or damage to the victim’s property 

• Places the target in reasonable fear of harm to himself/herself or of damage to his/her 

property 

• Creates a hostile environment at school for the target 

• Infringes on the rights of the target at school 

• Materially and substantially disrupts the education process or the orderly operation of a 

school 

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Well the best deterrent for bullies is friends get him to surround himself with friends it doesn't matter their social rank just that he has some. Also it wouldn't hurt if you made some serious eye contact with this bullie kid. My husband always says short men suffer from little man syndrome they have to over compensate and it stems from insecurity and fear. Or he could be gay lol

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 4:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Honestly, if your son is not being threatened, I'd focus on teaching him to think on his feet. A quick wit will go a long way in this world, and once in a wile, all it takes to shake off someone who is giving you a hard time is a few smart comebacks that will make everybody laugh.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• He talked it over with his dad & doesn't want you to interfere. Let your husb. & your son work out a plan, "man to man". If you step in, it could be emasculating.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• I have always be en the parent to deal with bullying and I told them to stand up for themselves and if its verbal or physical this is not acceptable at all.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 26, 2013