Home question. I guess rhetorical in part

My neighbors across the street are selling their home,and I decided to sneak a peek online to see what it looks like inside.
Wow. Apparently they have kept the same decor from 1962 or so,right down to the carpeting. Now I can see if something is timeless,like original hardwood floors,or kitchen cabinets,but why would you keep the cheap paneling on the walls,and the puke green carpets??
They COVERED up the original design of the home that dates from 1932. I'm betting it was beautiful.
I've seen this alot. How can you live in a home that left its decor in the 60's?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2013 in Home & Garden

• People stop noticing after a while. It just looks like home to them.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Perhaps they never felt it was worth investing in renovation or updating. I don't understand this either, of course unless it is completely a cost issue.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• They never left the 60's?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• How can you live in a home that left its decor in the 60's?

By having different priorities. Given a choice, would you rather go on vacation with your family or replace your counter tops? Buy a newer reliable car or replace carpet?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Maybe they'll find some couple or family that can't wait to uncover and restore the original plaster and hardwood.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• I've spoken to them. They say they bought it 55 years ago,so in 1958,so they must have decorated/redone it a few years later. The house still has the wonderful piss yellow carpet from the 60's or 70's,and the walls have been paneled. The original house would have had plastered walls and hardwood floors

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Well it's biting them in the ass now that they're trying to sell it. It will take about 40 grand to bring everything up to date.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• I hope so,Ballad
    I'm just worried that someone would rather just take their $100,000 elsewhere to a move in condition home.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2013