Recipe for a cake that can stand up to being covered with Fondant?

Need a recipe that will stand up to being covered with fondant and have some sculped fondant on top as well.

Nothing from a box please(which is like 80% of what I'm finding in a google search which is kind of sad). I don't care if it is chocoloate/white or whatever. Just need a good recipe like today(I so should have thought of this sooner).

My son said he wants a banana cake but I'm pretty sure that would be too fragile(it's a minnion party).

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Most any dense cake will do. Once you put fondant on it, all anyone will taste is sticky, gummy, pasty fondant.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Swasson: I made my own Marshmellow Fondant....which tastes pretty good actually.

I've heard that about store bought fondant though.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• I'd just frost the cake and use twinkies for the minions.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• freeze the cake before you put the crumb coat and fondant on. the cake should hold up because it's frozen and you will get the moistest cake ever! my wedding cake was done with box mixes with altered recipes, frozen and covered and everyone raved about it! good luck! :)
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 6:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2013