What is the first Narnia book?

I am seeing different info online and wonder which one is the first one? Magician's Nephew??? I have never read them and just want to make sure to start out right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• Magician's Nephew is the first chronologically, but you can start with Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Magician's Nephew. That was my favorite when I was a kid.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Yup, Magician's Nephew tells how Narnia was created. But you can start with The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe if you prefer.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• I had the set as a kid and they were numbered differently than now. The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe was the first book. It was magical for me when I got to The Magician's Nephew and read the "back story" about the beginning of Narnia, and realized the boy in that story was the old man who owned the house (thus, the wardrobe) that figured in the first book.

I understand the attraction of putting the books in "chronological order" but I'm not sure it's better. I thought they worked well in the "old" order (I'm assuming that was the order in which they were published, originally. I bet details about the author's intentions are on Wikipedia, lol) and there was some impact/meaning specifically from having the story "out of order" & getting information (certain details) later on, after already having a relationship with the land/story. You might be able to make a case for the emotional impact of the original order.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Written: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

Chronologically: The Magician's Nephew
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Was that a spoiler? Sorry!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Start with "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe." You don't need to start with "Magician's Nephew" (which would be the chronological start of the Narnia timeline) and in fact, the series reads better if you don't start with that one. It's much more fun to discover why Narnia was as the Pevensie children found it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2013