Do you think it would be weird to get an "In Memory of" bracelet of someone I have never met?

Backstory- I am an avid hiker. I started two years ago and it saved my life. I am a part of several Appalachian Trail groups on Facebook. This past summer an older hiker who went by the name "Inchworm" went missing. I checked the news stories every day hoping for some good news. I read stories from people who met her on the trail and she became such an inspiration to me. Unfortunately, she is still missing. 

I would like to get some type of "In Memory of Inchworm" bracelet to remind me of her, my goals, and to just enjoy life since we never know when our last day will be. Do you think this is weird or offensive to her family?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Cool choice!

My great uncle hiked the AT in full twice after he retired back in 1986. His children would air-drop supplies for him at different points, and he met some great people along the way, including a wife. He passed just a few months ago after inspiring many lives.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• In Memory of -> implies she is dead. If that is the assumption everyone has, then okay. It just sounds a little down if people believe she can still be found.

I don't see any problem honoring someone who inspires you, even if you never met.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• I love that bracelet! I think it is a good reminder to you and while you never met her she obviously influenced your life. I see no problem with it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• I would get a charm & have it inscribed "inchworm" or get a charm already made with an inchworm drawn on it. You could wear it on a bracelet or a necklace.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Not at all. If you feel this is something important to you, do it. This is kinda why we do the whole "Pink" thing as well.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• I just went on ebay & typed in inchworm charm & really cute ones came up!!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• Personally, I think it's an awesome idea.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2013

• anng.atlanta, It is very unlikely that she is alive. If I remember correctly, her family held a memorial service.

Ilovemypaulie, I am not much of a charm bracelet (or jewelry person). I was thinking something along the lines of this (but in different colors and then have "Inchworm" or In memory of Inchworm written on it.-

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2013