Do Most Men Have A Hard Time Emotionally Supporting A Woman?

I know not all men are alike. But is the one thing they have in common the inability to emotionally support a woman? Whether it be a problem with friends, job, family, pms, pregnant, or down right just a bad day? What has been your experience when you need the emotional support from your man?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2013 in Relationships

• I believe anyone that hasn't walked in your shoes can really understand how you feel.... so, yeah that would include a man. Their brains do not work like ours in that aspect.

My experience is that you should never rely on a man to satisfy your needs, actually you should never rely on anyone to have that much power over you. You should be able to find your own happiness.... if you aren't happy and feel that your needs are not being met, YOU have the power to make that happen. Your choice.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:13 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• My husband is a rarity, he has no problem supporting me no matter what mood I am in. He would listen to me complain, carry on etc. At first he just wanted to "fix" whatever was bothering me. But in the end he just listens to me, or just murmur a 'yes honey', 'oh that sucks', but it still helped :) Towards the end of my 3rd trimester, I was a royal bitch, and its a wonder why he put up with me!! But we have been married for 5 yrs, been together since 2001. Hes a awesome husband, and a terrific daddy!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:32 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Haven't had that problem.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• I think some en want to step in and solve problems, rather than sit back and listen. I've had some luck with saying, "I'm not expecting you to fix this. I just need you to listen."
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:22 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• A man has to have been taught to give emotional support to be able to give it but it is never too late to teach a man, if his mom didn't do it.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:41 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Funny question ... why? Because I'M the one that has a problems with emotions. He is much better at it than I am. I honestly believe that it has to do with our childhoods and how our parents were. His were more emotional and mine were not. I tend to turn them off, he expresses them.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:33 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• No. I don't think it's a "male" thing. Several of the most supportive, genuinely emotionally available people I've known have been men. I am certain that being supportive & emotionally available is a HUMAN capacity, not a gender thing.
    But there is some truth to the perception that prompts the question. And questions about "most" are a little misleading or difficult, because there's also the factor that a majority of adults (males & females) did not achieve emotional maturity along with phsyiological maturity, so that is a fact of life that influences the "pool."
    This doesn't mean they behave immaturely, or are irresponsible adults, or obviously "immature" in any way. Emotional maturity is about the ability to regulate your own emotions. And that affects the degree to which an individual is emotionally available. If you have very little actual inner regulation, you can't really tolerate empathizing with the emotions of others.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Men get the rap of being "fixers," of having trouble listening & instead trying to give advice or solve problems. But I think this can be equally true of women (look at how many mothers relate to their children that way, and have real difficulty managing to do what they more easily do for their friends.) It's about unconscious self-expectations more than specific gender traits. And those (unconscious expectations) make it difficult to tolerate certain feelings. (If you think "a good mom would know what to do" or "a good mom should be able to fix this" whenever facing a child's upset, you are going to find yourself explaining things, reasoning with the child, or otherwise trying to "fix" the situation. Rather than being able to hear the feelings & let them be what they are!) The same self-expectations about personal competence are behind many men's difficulties being present with upset/frustrated/sad feelings in their partners.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• @GirlwithC... Are you some kind of counselor? Just wondering.. :)
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2013