Do I understand this correctly

If you have a job that offers health insurance, you cannot get the government subsidy - pay full price for your insuance - no matter what your income might be.
Okay, that's alright our insuance went up like $20 a month. Well, okay.

My worry is next years, after the insuance companies start paying out for all those not currently covered SO - - next year, our rates will and are prodicted to increase dramatically - - SO, we still won't qualify for the subsidy and won't be able to afford the premiums.
Therefor, in my case: my only solution would be to quit my job & find one that does not offer insurance. Therefor, costing the government more, causing more government debt.

I just really do not understand - maybe I'm missing something BUT it upsets me that I Connor choose my health insuance and have to take the subquality coverage offered by my employer.

When I looked at the government website: I could get BCBS for $200 a month, with subsidy. ($2000. Deductible) plus better pharmacy and office copay rates.
Or my employers, $3000 deductible for $180 a month. With an 80% / 20% split forever.

So, having a job gives you less options.

So, what incentive do people have to get a job and/or insurance???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Oct. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• I see us being in a position of still making to much for government assistance, paying more for insurance, still not being able to afford to actually see a doctor. And unable to feed our kids - we live on a tight budget as it is. We do not have new cars, no credit card debt, no cable tv, etc. I've cut pretty much all I could from our budget.

It scares me is all I'm saying.!?!?

I'm a worrier and planner - I can't help it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Isn' t the Obama Health Plan Grand!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• That's right. f you have a job with insurance, you don't get the government subsidy. You continue to pay the price set by your employer and any union contract where applicable. Those premiums can change every year and most employees have seen increases annually for well over a decade.

The situation under Obamacare for people who are working really is no different than it was BEFORE Obamacare; the premiums were already going up dramatically.

Some employers will cease offering health coverage, and *that* would make you eligible for the subsidy.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:46 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• I looked into it regarding an old employer, and their workers would do better for the employer to dump coverage and let employees go on the marketplace. That's likely exactly what will happen because the fine for the employer will be less than the current cost for providing health insurance. In this case, it's a win-win for the employer and the workers; they all end up paying less.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Since the employer mandate was arbitrarily delayed by our CiC, businesses won't get fined this year for not offering insurance (if they employ over 50 people). Once the employer mandate goes into effect it is likely that many businesses will just pay the fine for not offering insurance and you will then be able to get a subsidy. But that's a big 'if' to depend on.

No, this legislation will hurt much more than it will help in the long run, I suspect. But then again, I've always thought so.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2013