Would you report this?

My 4 year olds attend daycare during the day and I know the ratio is 10:1 but in the past few months they've been over ratio four times when I dropped them off (so who knows how often it happens during the day) this morning there was 21 3 & 4 year olds and 1 teacher.

I'm on the fence about reporting it. I have unrelated beef with them so I think I'm being a bit bitter, but it's law.. so?

would you report it?

AllyB_

Asked by AllyB_ at 2:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would at least consider reporting it, especially if the daycare isn't clean or if it seems chaotic. What would one teacher do with that many toddlers if one of them got hurt or needed her full attention for some reason?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Being over ratio is one of my biggest pet peeves! I use to work at a daycare that thought nothing of leaving me with 17-20 1/12-3 year olds. I would definitely report them. If you need help finding the contact information on who to report it to, let me know.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:32 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• My concern with reporting them is that the agency that oversees that may come in, find a refusal/reluctance to deal with this and/or find other issues, and shut them down. Are you prepared/able to stay at home with your kids until you find another daycare if that happens?

I'm not saying it shouldn't be reported, because it should. But I think I would get a back up plan in place before I did, because even if they don't get shut down, they might figure out it was you and kick the kids out.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Is the safety of your children at stake?

I would report it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:55 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• So they have more than double the legal number of childen to one adult. I'd report. These numbers are not pulled out of a hat, they're the number of children that one adult can safely handle. Going beyond double is just looking for trouble IMO. I think you're right in asking yourself questions.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 3:50 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Yes
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:15 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Yes.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:45 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Yes
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:10 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• That's what I was thinking about today. The teacher in the room this morning was the assistant director and I was thinking I'm sure she thinks she can handle all those kids at once but what if there was a fire or an emergency, how would one person handle 21 3 and 4 year olds? And it really makes me wonder if they're willing to break that policy/law then what else are they doing that they shouldn't be doing? I want to move daycares but theres only one other decent one near us and we've been on the waiting list for a year :c
    AllyB_

Comment by AllyB_ (original poster) at 2:58 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Hmmm. Tough one. Do you think they would hire more help or kick some kids out? Might screw yourself there if you already have beef.... but hey they are breaking the rules.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:06 AM on Oct. 26, 2013