What would you do if your childs school gave them bath salt (not the drug)?

My dd is 8 she was so upset when I made her put it on too of the fridge (she wanted to keep it in her room) I have a 2 year old I didn't want to get into it. She got it from science class she said they didn't make it or anything the teacher just gave it out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 AM on Oct. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• Considering the teacher most likely told them to use it and feel how they felt more buoyant in the water, demonstrating how the density of water affected what floats in it, I'd tell her to take a bath.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:09 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• I agree with notpanicking. It seems harmless as long as not tasted by a younger child.

Answer by Bmat at 8:17 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Was it for class? An experiment? Why would this upset you? I would just have her do whatever she was supposed to do with it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:21 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Did you *ask* her what she was supposed to do with it? Did you ask the teacher, if your child didn't know/remember? It was sent home for a reason. Find out what that reason is and follow the instructions of the teacher.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• What about when the kids go trick or treating & she brings home candy that is a choking hazard for the little one. You put that out of reach too. The Teacher assumes that they are old enough to know how to safely use it & it is your job to protect your other children. It would not phase me in the least.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Where are the instructions that came home with this bath salt? Have you called the teacher? Looked on-line at the teacher's website? Many teachers have them nowadays. The teacher didn't simply give the kids bath salt. There's a reason, and the teacher will expect something back as part of the assignment.

It's time to put on your detective-mom hat and figure this out.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• I would let her use it. Our kid's teachers are usually really good about communicating what they are sending home and why.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• 1. Wrap your child very carefully and snugly in bubble wrap.

2. Place her in a sturdy cardboard box.

3. Put the box on a high closet shelf so that nothing in the big bad world can get to your child.

4. If you have other children, look for more boxes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Throw it in the tub, lie back, relax
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2013