Do you think it's true once a cheater always a cheater?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Oct. 26, 2013 in Relationships

• If you take two people in a long term relationship & one cheats on the other then Yes, I think they will cheat again. If you are just dating for a short time & he cheats on you the you move on. Once someone loses respect for you & cheats on you then there is no more relationship. If you are in High School then it's normal. LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Unfortunately yes.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:18 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Well, let's look at what I have seen ...

My dad cheated on me mom and when it was discovered, he never did again.

Now, hubby's eldest brother on the other hand ...cheated on the first 3 and I would guess also #4. #4 moved in w/him and #3 (no idea why) and he started screwing her. Divorced #3 to marry #4.

His little brother has moved in 2 women w/him and wifey. Thinks he has a "sister wives" thing going on. I normally refer to them as WHORE 1 and 2.

My sis's SO cheated on his #2 (the first one left him while he was in the Marines) with my sister. Sis was surprised that he cheated on her! Moved in w/the other woman and cheated on the new one with my sister. She begged and cried and begged some more for him to come back to her. He did, they bought a house together a few years ago.

One non-repeater and three multiple repeaters ... once a cheater, always a cheater with a few exceptions.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• In general, yes. I think once someone cheats that something is lost in the relationship and is very difficult, if not impossible to repair. You always remember how people make you feel. Once a loved one breaks that trust and fidelity, everything else is at risk of crumbling. The one that was cheated on has to find it in their heart to fully forgive and move forward without holding that as a weapon to use at will. I don't think that's easily done, and I don't think every cheater is deserving of such effort.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:21 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• No... Not always.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• YES! YES! YES!

Answer by older at 12:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• No. I believe people can make mistakes and learn from them, and people can change. That goes for a lot of bad habits. Now if someone doesn't want to change, or says he wants to change but just keeps doing the same thing over and over and making excuses, that's a different story.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• I do NOT believe that "once a cheater, always a cheater" but there IS a reason for the saying, and for the fact that so many people assume it's true!
    Certainly, there have been many cases of someone cheating chronically, or serially. And cheating signals a problem (plus a way of coping) that definitely exists for the person, and needs resolution. Very few people are in the position, with the support they need, to address the problem effectively & change the situation. Since the underlying issue typically doesn't get addressed, it's predictable for the behavior/pattern to repeat, or continue.

But does it HAVE to be that way? For anybody/everybody? No. I firmly believe that is not the case. (For anybody!)

However, even when someone is highly motivated to change, they frequently don't have the insight OR the support to approach the issue in a way that actually resolves the WHY. So the quote often proves true in experience.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Life has taught ME this to be true..once a cheater the non cheater will always be looking for the betrayal...and what kind of a relationship would this be if you had to doubt your partner....

Answer by older at 3:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• NO
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2013