So my plans are blown for today...

My Dh is working today & tomorrow so I made plans to drive (a distance) to my Mom's so she could see the kids. Then we would all go to local nurseries & see the Halloween decorations & petting farm.
I called her to talk about a time & she has sciatica today. She said simply "Sorry, can't go." She always pulls this crap. I think she is agoraphobic.

Great. Now the kids are hyped to go.

So, what should I do (alone) with the kids today?

Any ideas?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 10:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2013 in Entertainment

• Go get some Halloween crafts for them to do. Or you can go buy some thing for Boo Buckets and start a neighborhood Boo.  That's only if you have lots of kids in your neighborhood and think that other families would be willing to participate.  My kids love doing this and it's fun when their friends have to guess who Boo'ed them.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:25 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• How about still going to do what you were going to, WITHOUT her?

Answer by gdiamante at 11:39 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Are there any local pumpkin farms/corn mazes near you?

Poor kids, I remember being young and plans changing. It was always a bummer.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:14 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Have they done their jack-o-lanterns yet? You could always go pick them out & decorate/carve them. I like the idea of the corn maze too. Could they handle a haunted house? Or maybe a hay ride? If your weather sucks like ours, you could always have them build the tent in the living room. Or do a Halloween-themed movie marathon.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• I'm sorry that your mom backed out on you. I've had to do that to people before because my health will take an unexpected turn for the worse. In fact, I am probably going to have to disappoint my kids tonight because I have a migraine coming on. I'm trying to break it, but we'll just have to see.

It kills me to break the plans I make because my body revolts on me. And, yes, it makes me feel/appear agoraphobic. It hurts my kids because I can't be the mom I want to be for them. And I would bet your mom has similar feelings.

Please go do what you were planning to do, like gdiamante suggested. But allow some time to stop and visit with your mom. Show/tell her what you guys did. Include her that way. She probably wants to be right there with you but is afraid she'll slow you down or limit you and the kids in some way. Just love her and include her as she is able. You'll all benefit from that.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• I agree with May. If your mom backed out for health reasons, she might be happy for a little surprise visit. If she's pulling attitude, that's another story. Only you will know for sure. But why not go do the free stuff anyway? Petting farms are da bomb!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• I would still go even though mom cannot be there does not mean you cannot go and have fun!!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• All the stuff out by me is very pricey to get in. I had all the free stuff planned by my Mom's house. I'll scour the local paper & see what's for free since my 2 year old may or may not get cranky & I'd hate to pay & have to leave quick. My Son got a gift card to ToysRUs for his Birthday so tonight we may go & he'll get a hat, balloon & they'll say "Happy Birthday" to him over the loud speaker. That will cheer him up.
    I'll see what's going on at the Library too today. Thanks for the ideas :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Quinn...that is so great!
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Oct. 26, 2013