Diets?

If you knew some one (by choice only). Was on a certain diet. ( doesn't matter what kind). Would you work around their diet? If they came to your house to eat? My DH said you should if you invited them. I say unless it was a medical reason for the diet, no.

Asked by louise2 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 26, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I would make sure my meal had enough options that they could pick something. Like two veggies and a lean protein if they are trying to go carb free. But I wouldn't make them a whole other meal. I'd tell them they are welcome to warm something up in my kitchen if their meal request was off the charts weird
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Yes I would. It's part of being a gracious hostess I think. You'd just make food you knew they couldn't eat?
    Daigen

Answer by Daigen at 11:36 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Yes I would. I do what I can to make my guests feel welcome in my home.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Of course I would. Why invite someone to eat at your home and then provide food that does not comply with their personal diet. Giving people food to eat that their stomachs are no longer accustomed to eat can make them sick. Why would you want to do that?

When I invite someone I want them to feel that their company is appreciated, really appreciated. If they havve special food requirements I would simply work with them. I consider that a challenge.

It's a question of common courtesy.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 1:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Is this about the vegan/no nuts/gluten free question?
    If I have to go out and buy a whole bunch of (expensive) things that my family does not eat(and probably won't),i'd have to ask that person to buy and/or prepare their own stuff.
    The gluten free stuff is 2 to 3 times more than regular food,and trying to find anything that is nut free is next to impossible
    "I" don't expect my hosts to bow to my dietary restrictions. if I cannot work around what they are serving,i bring my own

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• depends, if it is a more simple one then I'd definitely try to have foods they can eat, but if it is some weird or super strict diet- then I'd let them know that they can bring what they want with them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Let's switch that up for a second.... If I WERE the one dieting, I would NOT expect the hostess to cater to my diet. That's just rude. I would either bring my own food, stick to my diet, or not attend... Why should the hostess have to work around just one person's schedule?

I say that because I have been in that situation at my own parents' home... different deal, but same concept. It's not fair to the hostess....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Not couldn't,, didn't want to eat.

Comment by louise2 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2013

• I try to fit my meal plans to suit the needs of those who are eating. I don't make things I know my guests won't like. But sometimes I have asked guests to bring stuff, or at least give me some recipes or concrete ideas, because I have no idea how to accommodate them. One friend in particular is both gluten and dairy free. At a party, I just try to offer a lot of choices so everyone can find something to nibble on.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• I would make sure to have a veggie platter and a salad. That way they would have something.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2013