How to tell if its actual labor

Hi, I'm a 37 weeks and 2 days pregnant with my first child, and have been have Braxton hicks since I was thirty weeks, on Thursday I went to the obgyn n I was only a half a centimeter dilated so I went on a long walk(4miles) to help dilate myself and since yesterday afternoon I have had period like cramps and a dull constate back ache, n I was wonder if it could be early labor, I haven't lost my plug yet n I haven't broken my water either...

AllysMommy2013

Asked by AllysMommy2013 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Just be patient. You may be in early labor, or you may be three weeks away from it yet. Your body knows what to do, an the baby will come in its own sweet time.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Time the contractions and if you are worried then call your Dr. If they aren't there, then leave a message with the answering service.

Maybe research some about what to expect when you go into labor so that you can report anything that worries you to your physician.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• The pain will get worse and worse.

Answer by louise2 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• You will know because they will consistent in their time, and get worst as they get closer, your water should not necessarily have to break before you dilate completely but it hurries the process...

Answer by older at 2:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• It really feels like you need to poo, but there isn't any but you really feel like you have to. That is the best way I can describe it.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 4:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• You will know when it's real labor, trust me lol

I remember with my first I was always wondering how I'd know if it was the real thing and I kept going into the hospital thinking it was time when it wasn't and then once real labor started oh boy did I KNOW it was the real thing and I remember thinking "can't we go back to braxton hicks???"

Real labor contractions will never let up, no matter what you do...

If you start having pains that won't go away even if you lay down and they will distract you from everything else and get worse as time goes by then it's the real thing. Everything else is just prep work.
    collegexmamix28

Answer by collegexmamix28 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2013

• Every pregnancy I wonder too. Then it happens and you are like OH SHIT. There is no mistaking that pain.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2013