Was this weird?

My 14 year old 'brother' asked out a girl yesterday and she said yes and I'm excited about it because she is adorable and super sweet. We went to the pumpkin patch today and I told him to invite her and we all spent the day together and it was really fun. I was telling a co-worker about it and she said it's weird that I invited his girlfriend along and she thinks its weird that I'm excited about the whole thing.

I'm new to raising teenagers so... is it weird that I'm glad she said yes? should I not support the idea??

AllyB_

Asked by AllyB_ at 1:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• No, it's not weird. He's a that age where girlfriends are important.
    Him allowing you to be a part of their life is HUGE! You can monitor their actions, be there to offer advice and guide him.
    Your co-worker, what is her relationship like with her kids?
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 1:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• I don't know her very well, so I'm not sure what their relationship is like.
    Thanks for reply :)
    AllyB_

Comment by AllyB_ (original poster) at 1:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• I think it's awesome. Many kids that age don't want to be seen with their parents or other adults in their lives, girlfriend or not.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• No not weird at all. My 13 year old has had her first bf since this past summer and there are alot of times we take him with us when we go out to eat or go places. I want my kids to feel comfortable around us and if someone is part of their life we want to share in it. I think you're doing a great job.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 6:33 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• I agree w/ the others. Just don't get too attached to this girl. You know how teenage romances go. ;p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:43 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• It doesn't strike me as "weird" that you would invite the girl along. It creates a nice opportunity, and it sounds like something nice manifested as a result.

It sounds like you are happy for him, happy that when he took a risk he got an affirming response, happy about his choice of person, and happy that the day together was really fun.

I don't think it's weird to have those feelings about those things.

It's possible that your co-worker (thinking it's weird for you to be "excited about the whole thing") heard/saw your excitements & perceived something like over-involvement on your part. I think labeling it as "weird" is fairly primitive & does a poor job of expressing the feeling.

Sometimes when I'm very happy about something, I'm vulnerable to attachment, which means I'm vulnerable to resistance & feelings of upset as well. (IF things change.) Maybe just think about what your happiness signals about your value judgments.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• I don't think it's weird either.

I would be careful about being 'too happy' abouti it though. You don't want your son to feel like he has to stay with this girl because you like her. At this age hopefully this will be one of many relationships he has. It's good for kids to have a few realtionships before finding the one. It can teach them what kind of relationship they want, and help them to mature and be better partners.

Otherwise, it's always nice when moms like the girls and kids spend time with parents too.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:33 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Not weird at all. It's a good way to supervise the dating. Dating that wouldn't be happening in my house until at least 16 years old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 22, 2013