I still don't have a plan

I'm 30 with an AS degree in general studies. I transferes to a university for my BA. What I have always said I wanted be is a doctor. So far I have a D in biology.I can raise to a passing grade but not an A. I am a B student. Currently biology isn't something I like. As a single parent I need a to get a good degree so I can afford life. I don't have a clear plan and don't know what to di. I have talked to advisors and it's been so so. I want to do something that interest me (language and culture) and that pays me well. Since I am 30 I feel a bit bad for being lost.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 2:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2013 in Money & Work

• To be honest, you aren't cut out for healthcare (nursing included) based on what you have answered. Nursing is tough and unless you manage to get a clinic job you can expect to work shifts and those will probably be overnights. You have to earn the right to day shifts based on your seniority and experience. Plus, if you are struggling with biology then you will have a hard time with microbiology and anatomy and physiology. It sounds like you tell everyone you are going in to healthcare because you think people will assume you're "somebody" and that's a bad reason to choose any career. And I will tell you upfront that becoming a doctor isn't going to work either. Even if you managed to get through medical school your residency would come as a shock.

There are a lot of career goals you can set that are realistic and will pay you enough money to raise your son. Quit basing your decision on what others will be impressed by
    Daigen

Answer by Daigen at 9:58 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Wow, way to insult all the nurses in the world. I doubt they see themselves as second best.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• How about Nursing? Seriously if you get your RN, your opportunities are absolutely endless. You can almost chose what you want to make, your hours, etc...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• You're going t have to like Biology to be a doctor. Let's not forget Organic Chem. Fun fun!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:19 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Don't fail to mention taking and passing the MCAT to get into med school, and you may or may not get into medical school. The additional 4 years of med school, then internship, residency, and finally fellowship. You can get a nursing degree in 3 years (maybe less since you already have AS). And don't forget nurses and doctors are not the only professions in the medical field.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• My younger sister is a nurse and she gets to take care of newborn babies all day. You can also continue your education to become a nurse practitioner or go on to get a PhD in nursing. You could also teach with a masters in nursing at a community college or university.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Nurses do all the work while doctors spend very little time with patients. It is not a step down. Besides, you can get your BSN and then once you start working in the field, go back to school to become a nurse practitioner. NP's are like PA's who can do basically the same things physicians do.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Jazmineamomma....it wouldn't be a step down, but rather a step towards your goal!
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 2:30 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Nurses are in the trenches every day helping people. I think it would be exciting. It's an honorable profession. And don't feel bad about being lost at thirty. Many people are re-inventing their careers in their thirties, forties, even fifties, either by choice or by necessity or both. I went back to school at thirty after getting divorced, got a second Bachelor's degree, and am not using either of them. The point is, you're working at it, wanting something better for yourself and your family. Hats off to you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:59 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Sit down w/ an advisor & take some aptitude tests that help you figure out your strengths & weaknesses. The results include suggestions about fields you may want to pursue. Sure Dr.'s make a lot of money, but they also spend long hours at work & have huge student loans & malpractice premiums. Nursing does offer more family friendly hours & still pays well.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2013