Fever of 102.0° - 104.5° for the past 5 days?

My one year old has been having really high fevers for almost 5 days now and I'm really worried about her. She's had fevers that lasted about a day or two and I brought her to the doctor and also the ER before and all they have to say for it is that its just because of her teething? Its been happening on and off since she's been about 7 months old, but its never lasted this long before. She still doesn't have a single tooth yet and I'm starting to question if it is from teething? I just want to know if this has happened to any of yo other moms and if so, can you give me any tips or pointers on how I would be able to help her fever go down? I've been giving her advil, giving her cool baths, using a cold wash cloth on her head, making sure she has plenty of fluids too but the majority of the time those only last about 30 minutes to an hour then the fever spikes up again. The doctors haven't really helped so I figured I'd ask.

tabithatm

Asked by tabithatm at 3:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Lots of kids run fevers when cutting teeth. I was one of them. Have they tested for other causes before coming to that conclusion? If not, get another opinion. Sounds like you are treating her fever properly. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:41 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• I'd be insisting on some extensive bloodwork. Teething usually will cause a fever around 100

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:41 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• There's something else going on if she has a consistent fever for 5 days? Are you treating her with any Tylenol or ibuprophen? Usually the nurses that I call into will tell me if it's running more than 3 days they need to see the kiddos. I would ask to see another doctor and find out what's going on. Does she have any other symptoms? Chewing? Fussiness? Lethargy? Is she drinking/eating alright?
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 10:31 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Those temps seem kind of high for teething. How is her behavior otherwise?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• The fever wouldn't worry me if it had just been a day or two, but by now, I'd be getting her into urgent care again, or back into the doctor's office. My daughter got a few teething fevers, but nothing that intense or that long-lasting.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

• She's been fussy a lot, not wanting to be moved around, always wanting to be held, she looks like she's miserable and I feel so bad for her. She's been eating and drinking but sometimes she'll push t away like she doesn't want it, and she's also thrown ups few times. Every time I brought her to the doctor they only said it was teething. That's why I'm having a hard time believing a fewer this high and lasting this long could be from that. I've honestly have never seen this type of reaction before. But I did have her laying next to me during the night. Practically stayed up all night just to make sure she was okay. And when I woke up this morning I checked her head and it was back to normal, I also checked with the thermometer and its down to 96.2, hopefully that's the end of the fever and it stays low, but if it spikes up again at all today I'm bringing her to the hospital. So fingers crossed!
    tabithatm

Comment by tabithatm (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Check her for a rash within the next week. Sometimes kids that age can get Roseola which can cause a high fever, sometimes with other symptoms and sometimes with no other symptoms. If that is the case there isn't much to worry about. Maybe ask her Ped. or mention Roseola to them to find out if they consider that a possibility. There are other illnesses that can cause the same thing that are more serious though, so definitely keep an eye on her temp.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Um, I'm not quite sure what ER you went to, but if a child is running a fever for that long of a period, I am about 100% positive they would have done more to find out why. Not to mention that fact that you say she's been doing this since 7 months old.... Have you taken her to an ER lately, recently, like in this past century??? I'm sorry, I am calling BS on this post....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• You need a different doctor. Record all her symptoms.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• I have taken her to the ER, thank you very much. They ran multiple tests on her to see what was causing it, they tested her blood to make sure there was no virus, used a catheter to check her urine, x-rayed her chest many times, and even stuck a painful IV in her tiny little hands, and much more. I sat and watched my child go through many tests and ached as she cried from the pain from more than half of them. I took her to the ER so they could figure out what's wrong with my little girl and they couldn't find any possible reasons for what would be causing such high fevers. Everything came back negative and they just told me to keep an eye on her for any other symptoms and that was it. There is no BS in this post, it's not my fault I'm not getting any answers back. I wouldn't bullsh*t about my daughters health.
    tabithatm

Comment by tabithatm (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2013