The Birds and The Bees.... adult content

I want to ask your opinions on this situation of mine. One of my daughters' friends is apparently learning about the body or something, because she's constantly talking about her penis (and yes I know she doesn't have one, but whenever I hear her say it, IDK what to say because she isn't my kid and it isn't my place to correct her) and other sexual related things. She saw our cats sniffing eachother's noses once and said they were kissing and having sex. She also uses language like douchebag and nigga but knows she isn't supposed to. I wouldn't let her in today because she had mayo in her hair earlier so I know she has/had lice and I don't want her inside, so they have the window open and they're playing through that (there is a screen) and I can overhear their conversation. I just heard her say that she saw one of the neighborhood boys climbing a tree in his boxers and she saw his penis and that it was small.... wow. My daughter just kind of ignored it and talked about something else. Her and I have never discussed male terminology or anything of that nature. The only thing that came close was when she was 5 and she walked in on me changing my pad lol but she didn't understand the concept of periods yet. I know you're suppose to wait to talk to them about sex until they come and ask you the age old "where do babies come from?" question but what if they're already hearing stuff from other kids before then? I don't want her to get her sex education from other kids especially that don't really know what they're talking about if she has a vagina and calls it a penis. I know I can easily tell her not to play with this individual but it's not so easy when she lives 4 houses down and is constantly outside, I can't just keep my kid locked up, and I'm sure she might also be hearing stuff like this at school.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• btw my daughter is 7 and the friend im speaking of is turning 8 next month
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• If this were my child, I'd talk to her about the conversations you've overheard. Say, "hey while XX was over, I heard her say she has a penis, or I heard her say she say a boy climbing the tree in his boxer, how do you feel about that?" Talk to her on her level of course, but see how she feels about her friend talking about sex stuff all the time. Then take the conversation from there to either correct what she's heard, or just to let her know that some things weren't right, and you are happy to talk to her about it whenever she wants. I'd also tell the little visitor, "we dont need to talk about that right now", whenever she says something inappropriate...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• I hate it when someone else's kid forces me into conversations I wasn't quite ready to have w/ my own child yet! But since this other little girl has forced your hand, you have to step in & have an age-appropriate discussion w/ your child. Correct the misinformation this other child has given her & keep the door open for future discussions.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• ^^this.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 3:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2013