Why did my child stop using the potty?

Hello everyone!
I've had my daughter potty trained for well over a month. No accidents.
My husband and I had been so disappointed and discouraged lately because she's been having accidents all of a sudden. . I really love my daughter dearly but she's caused me great anxiety lately with this potty stuff. It's as if we are starting over with the potty training all over again. I've givin my daughter Rebecca 3 minute time outs when she doesn't go potty because I feel that she should know better since she's been going potty for well over a month. Not just for her but for me. So that I too have those few short minutes to calm down a little over my frustration. I just don't know what to do. I've even called the pediatrician and he said that this happens a lot and it's normal and that I shouldn't stress over this. Well, that's easy for him to say!
Please if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do. Please do let me

beccasmomabcd

Asked by beccasmomabcd at 3:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-2 Credits)
  • It is very normal. Toddlerhood is truly a case of two steps forward and one step back.

The more stressed you feel, the more stress you make her feel, the more you punish her, the longer this phase will last. Yes, it is very easy to say "calm down" and very hard to do. But you really have to try.
    If she has an accident, don't punish her. Just simply say "Uh Oh. You didn't make it to the potty this time. Let's get some things to clean up the mess and get you cleaned up too." Have her help clean up, change her, and drop it. While walking to her room to get clean clothes, you can ask her "Do wet pants feel cold and yucky?" but don't tell her they do and don't go on about it.

Try to remember just how much she is being asked to master and change each day. She truly needs to know that you love and accept her no matter what.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• the dr.'s right i have a 4 year old girl how did the same thing and every once in awhile she still does it so the dr.'s right
    tracy210

Answer by tracy210 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• pennies. When our daughter who is 3 1/2 regresses we go back to lots of positive praise and giving her a penny each time so she uses the potty like a big girl. Then after she got back on track we bought her undies (her old ones were also getting a lttle worn out), picked out sheets, a new blanket. The new sheets were after three months of no accidents. Are you ok with having the potty in her room during naptimes? She won't get reprimanded for leaving her room, nor will she get time outs for peeing in bed, or the corner, etc. Good luck
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 2:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2009