Ok,how is Halloween considered something you should shield your kids from?

It's hard for me to swallow that some people think the devil is being promoted by dressing like a bumblebee and going door to door getting treats.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 7:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• People take things to the extreme! SERIOUSLY!

I personally hate Halloween, but it has nothing to do with Religion!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 7:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• I dont think he is being promoted... I always took my kids trick or treating, as did every christian friend I had. My only concern is it's an excuse for a very small percentage of the population to go bat shit crazy and do really dumb things, that sometimes can hurt children. So parents have to up their vigilance, and some parents just don't. Which really bothers me...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Because people are slooooooow. I always felt bad for kids who didn't celebrate, everyone treated them like outcasts. A school parties they got sent to the library to do school work while everyone had fun. I would have killed my parents if they did that ish to me.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• I have NO clue!! Trick or treating isn't really celebrating anything in and of itself . Like I said, it's all about intent.... if your intent is to let the kids dress funny and go get candy from neighbors then that's all it is really.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• IDK. Some people really just don't like it. DS has a friend at school that lives in the neighborhood and he said that we can't go to his friend's house to trick or treat because they don't celebrate. I said, OK, good for them. I honestly don't care that much. It's just fun and goofy and they like to go collect candy. It's not like we are holding seances and channeling spirits.

Some people don't like the candy aspect of it all, but that's more for a parent to control than anything.  I'm usually throwing away Halloween candy that the kids haven't eaten by spring the following year.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• It's almost like people look for reasons to be offended. Some people are so focused on the roots of Halloween that they miss *today's* view of it just being a cute holiday to get candy.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• I was not born here, so as a child of 8 or so I encountered my first Halloween, I thought it was the best holiday ever...and still do, nothing but fun on this day for children of all ages.....

Answer by older at 7:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• ^A fictitious character for mischief?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• More to the point, a costume Clifford tried on. Had that book when I was a kid. In no way confused by it... just like when I was 3, we visited my grandpa at work on Halloween so he could see my costume and he added a devil mask to it since I was dressed as an angel. No therapy required.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• People are stupid, enough said.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2013