How old was your child when they wanted to wear a "scary" Halloween costume?

This year my 9 year old son requested a grim reaper costume. We couldn't find a scythe so he wanted a blood-dripping dagger. My little boy is growing up. = ( No more cute, innocent costumes.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 7:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2013 in Holidays

• My now 12 year old was 8 before he wanted anything 'scary', and even that wasn't very scary at all. He wound up being a traditional vampire that year, minus any blood.

My 9 year old wanted to be the guy from Scream at 7, but I couldn't find a costume at the time for less than $40, and I wasn't spending that much. This year he's finally getting his wish, but he's still not anything bloody.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• "Where in the world did you even hear about Chuckie?"
    JeremysMom Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) 5 minutes ago

^^^ I guarantee kids in his class & even younger have seen that movie. I'm amazed at what people expose their kids to at such young ages. I guess they have to deal w/ the nightmares tho, not me! ;p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Last year he was a zombie, he had just turned 7. He has always loved scary stuff though. As long as it has a cool weapon or is really gruesome he is all over it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Never - my older ones are 12 and 13, no longer dressing up.. We don't do "scary" costumes, I think it's gross and just don't see the point.

Answer by missanc at 9:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Yeah that sounds about right. I think my middle son was about that age when he opted for the Scream costume.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• He also asked me if he could watch the movie with "Chuckie" in it. My husband and I both looked at each other and was like "Where in the world did you even hear about Chuckie?"

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• my six year old does not want anything cute
    scary (but scary for her is some skeleton bones)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• DS was 7 or 8 when he wanted to be Scream. And then he wanted to be scream again, but with the bloody mask the next year.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• My kids still don't want to wear scary costumes. It was never an option when they were little, and now they just don't consider it when they are choosing.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• It hasn't happened yet, but my daughter is only five, so I'm sure it will. Her elementary scool doesn't allow any masks, scary costumes, fake blood, or weapons at Monster Mash. I thought that was kind of crazy, but I guess they didn't want to offend anybody or freak out the more sensitive smaller kids.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2013