I don't know what else to do?

What could had been the change in my 7 year old son he has been getting into trouble this past month from using innapropriate language to fighting in school.
Fighting part was today when I got a call from the pricipal's office :( That was the final straw...We have talked to him we have spanked him (was our last resort) and he still don't get it. What is it going to take for him to absorb what we are trying to get him to understand. He just started to act this way. ??? Help!
About a month ago he did mention he is hanging around with some boys. I hope they are not influencing him, maybe? But we have talked about everything in school so he knows better. Atleast we thought he did.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try a positive approach at school and at home. Kids will do anything to get attention, sometimes even if it is negative attention. I would say that the other boys are probably having a big influence on him. Let your son know your expectations for him. Tell him that if you get all good reports from school that he gets a certain reward that you know he wants. It doesn't have to be a toy or game, sometimes the reward for kids is special time with a parent playing games or going someplace special with them. Everyone needs to "catch him being good" and reward the behavior they want to see.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:32 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I would figure out what has changed. Friends at school, being picked on, talk to the teacher about what his/her view is about the issue. If need be, go to school and watch for yourself.
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 3:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My son had the same issues when he started 1st grade. Other children definitely influence them. Unfortunately, not all parents care how their kids behave. It took a couple of tries but once I found something that my son truly values and took it away, he figured out he better behave even if his friends don't. Not saying he doesn't get in trouble occasionally but it is a lot less often now. If talking and spanking doesn't work find his favorite toy, game, favorite tv show, and take that away. Worked for me, that's all I can offer
    lalli_lalli

Answer by lalli_lalli at 3:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Take a privilege away from him until the behavior changes. Use of the computer for x number of days. No TV for x number of days. No going to see friends after school. Extra jobs. And spend some special time with him one on one when he is behaving correctly. Play a game. go for a walk or bike ride, something he likes to do.

seasidegrandma

Answer by seasidegrandma at 10:52 AM on Feb. 20, 2009