Does your child's school have an annual fall festival?

my daughter's is doing it this year for the first time and i thought it was great, until i started getting the flyers and PTA notices that 'tickets will be on sale' this week. the tickets are for the fun activities i guess. so if you don't buy tickets, you don't get to participate in any of the activities. i guess i understand the need to raise money but i assumed at first this would be a free school wide event, not another PTA attempt at making money. if your child's school has one is it the same scenario or are they just a bunch of tight wads?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• I think that is the way it is everywhere. The one my son's school puts on is the same way.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• My DD's school did the same thing. Tickets for the inflatables and games plus a bake sale and hot dog/soda/water sales. I assumed it would be games/inflatables for free and selling snacks, raffle tickets and a bake sale. Instead, they basically made it so that if you had no money to spend there was no point in you going.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Not a fall festival but we have halloween parties & they do a parade around town ( like four-five blocks). It's a blast
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• DS's school has a Fall Harvest dance which they charge admission and they sell baked goods and food
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• My 7th grader's middle school is having their fall festival this week. Wristbands are $5 each and include admission, unlimited bounce rides, and unlimited Wii party. Any food or drink the student wants is extra. Makes sense to me.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• The place where my daughter went for pre-K had a fall festival, but her elementary school held Monster Mash, which was very much following a Halloween theme rather than a harvest one.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Ours is a fun fair in the spring, but same idea. It's absolutely tragic, but I guess I can't blame them, since they're new at it, and I get the impression the whole thing is a new concept for the area. I grew up at a school that's had them since the 60's - games with prizes in every classroom in one wing of the school, pony rides and bounce houses on the playground, multiple bake sales/white elephants/etc going on.

Here it's 5 lame games in the gym and 2 bounce houses, plus a bake sale.

It was always understood going in that you have to buy tickets to do everything, though.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2013