Does sheltering kids make them less intelligent, or do parents instinctively shelter kid because they believe they are less intelligent?

It used to be normal for kids to see animals born, raised and slaughtered. Not to mention conceived. Now some parents act like their child will have a psychotic break if they see or hear the wrong thing. Are kids really more gullible and ignorant than their great grandparents, or are their parents making that way?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Definitely MAKING them that way

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• I agree with bb, making them that way. Kids are soft and way too sheltered now, IMO.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• I think there's a big disconnect in some families. Like they can't witness a calf being born or know that their burger comes from ole Bessiebburr they watch crap reality tv like the Kardashians or play blood and guts video games. Not that those things are inherently bad but it's a weird standard to me. But I'm not sure it has anything to do with intelligence but with the parents comfort level on certain subjects
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 8:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• the parents comfort level on certain subjects

And convenience. Explaining things inconveniences them.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• We're raising a generation of pusses. There I said it, lets just coddle billy & Jane through life and expect them to be able to adjust in the real world.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• i agree that it's normal to see animals conceived, born and raised. however i don't want my kids seeing animal slaughtering anymore than i personally want to see it myself. i dont think that makes any of us less intelligent.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Sheltering them does not make them less intelligent, and intelligent child will always ask questions..parents shelter like you said out of being inconvenienced and having to explain....

Answer by older at 8:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• I think it is a little of both. Parents feel their little snowflakes are not 'ready' to handle certain aspects of life, fearing they will not be able to comprehend it, this resulting in them being naive and less intelligent than their true potential.

Unfortunately the world is filled with less than pleasant things but you can't teach you child how to navigate those aspects of life if you pretend they don't exist. Just taking sex for one example. Sex education here doesn't start until 6th grade (11/12 years old). By this age most of these kid have already had or thought about having sex. In 2007 a poll was done showing that 25% of the 15 year olds (the youngest on the poll) had already had sexual intercourse. Parents leave sex as such a mystery that kids feel the need to explore and experiment themselves.
    Anonymous

• Considering how many 'could I be pregnant' questions we have in Answers, I would say that parents are making them that way. At the age my kids are right now, I am careful of what to discuss with them because they are chatter boxes and I don't want them going and reporting the things that I am telling them at home and angering other parents because their precious snowflakes are too young. For instance, DS and I talk a little about politics at times and I tell him that there are many issues that people consider when voting. We got into specifics and when we were talking about social issues I was explaining SSM. I don't want them reacting weird when they see a same sex couple canoodling so I explained that some men love and want to marry other men and the same with some women. He wasn't shocked, but then proceeded to explain this to some classmates.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Not to mention children these days are just plain spoiled. They are not taught the value of hard work, they are not taught to appreciate the hard work of others, they are not taught self respect or respect for anyone else, they are sheltered from the way the world works.
    Anonymous