HELP!!! I have a four month old, and for the past few days I've noticed that my milk supply has been decreasing. Today really concerned me as i was only able to nurse her for her morning feeding.

I have always produced enough milk to feed her and pump for storage. I nursed my first child for a year. I'm just curious as to why I seem to have stopped producing all of a sudden. I was only able to get 2 oz out of pumpin today. I usually get 5 times that plus have enough to feed my baby through out the day. I'm glad I have the expressed milk that I can thaw out for her but I just want to know what's going on with me.

Shay71201

Asked by Shay71201 at 11:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OK. First thing you need to know: Pump output has NOTHING to do with supply. There are moms who can nurse twins with no formula ever, yet they cannot pump ONE DROP. So do not judge by what you pump.

At four months, it's quite normal for pump output to drop. Normal output is half an ounce to two ounces total per session.

Are you still changing about 5-6 dipes per day? If so, supply is fine.

Please drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for more help and tons of info. It's one of the groups listed in my profile if you want to find it that way; I'm one of the mods.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Good t know about pumping. I guess I'm just freaked out because today was the first day that she was getting frustrated nursing, because noting seemed to be coming out. I'll definitely check out the Breasfeeding Moms group.
    Shay71201

Comment by Shay71201 (original poster) at 12:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Four months is also an age where they hit another spurt.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Try to consume more food and liquid as that will help the milk supply.

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 12:22 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• that has happened to me with one of my kids. I could pump out so much milk in one sitting and then it kept decreasing till it stopped. not sure if it will stop for you tho. I think if you breastfeed, its a lil different from pumping, pumping doesn't keep your supply up. I could be wrong tho
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Americansugar is correct.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:32 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I am not seeing a supply problem unless you're not changing 5-6 diapers a day.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2013