how to deal with my niece<13>,my nephew<10>i have temp custody since june,they were really in a bad situationnow ,they are disrespecting me&my husband not lisening,how to deal?

they really are good kids,but when they have a supervised visit with their mom,they act out..dont want to do anything but stay in the house,eat&in their room.How to deal with them?

smookie1

Asked by smookie1 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 28, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Are they receiving counseling?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:38 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Not yet,but i think they need it ive been so busy getting them used to everything&school not alot of time for much else.t.y.tcb
    smookie1

Comment by smookie1 (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Just talk to them, let them know you know what they have been going threw is hard. They must have some anger towards their mom but they have each other and you.

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 1:02 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Chances are, now that it's been a few months, they're feeling comfortable enough around you that it's safe to let their anger and defiance show. It may not feel like it, but it's a good sign in a way. I would keep reminding them calmly about the rules of how people in your home are expected to talk to each other, get them in counseling, and don't force them into a lot more interacting than they're comfortable with.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:07 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• they have been through a lot, most kids even from divorced homes act out when they get home from the other parents. Reassure them they are loved and safe but you will not put up with the behavior and no more getting them used to stuff, too busy, get them in counseling, they need it terribly!
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:03 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I agree they need counseling, but you need to be their soft , safe, place to fall after they have visitis with the mom. Make sure they know they can talk to you about anything. Sometimes you might just sit and "be" with them individually or together. Make sure they each have one on one time with each adult in the family. But through it all make it clear what is, and is not, allowed. Stay calm and matter of fact about it. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2013