Pay by the mile car tax as an alternative to raising the gas tax

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-roads-black-boxes-20131027,0,6090226.story#axzz2it5l7nqT

Yes or no?  Would you volunteer for either of the ones they mention?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:39 AM on Oct. 28, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• No. What is the incentive for having a fuel efficient car?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• You still pay less for gas than everyone else.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I would not want to have a device in my car that feeds information to the government.
    I think that it would be unlikely to be reliable. What do I do if it stops working? How will I know if it malfuntions? When I get a huge tax bill and then I have to fight to get the problem corrected AND adjust my taxes? No thanks. Eventually they will just end up using it to monitor your speed etc. You'll end up with tickets in your mailbox as well as a tax bill to be sure.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I'd be more concerned at the state level than federal. I live on a state border, and it's common to drive across that line several times a week. I don't feel like paying taxes to Indiana for driving on Michigan roads.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Where I live they're already debating the pros and cons and offering choices. Black box or flat fee.
    I personally do not want the Government knowing where I go, how far I drive etc. They've already got their noses up our asses as it is.
    I would agree to a flat tax, IF and only IF it goes by the mileage I drive. Not a flat tax based on everyone else's mileage.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 1:05 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• That's another thing NP. I'm not interested in paying for a bridge to WA that I'll never use.
    This is another thing going on here.
    Make it a toll bridge.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 1:07 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Drug dealers/users absolutely would NOT like this! And I can see lots of abuse where the govt is concerned. Especially the ATF, FBI and many other alphabet agencies.
    And no way in hell would I agree with that. Besides, I rarely go out anymore except to drop dd off at school and pick her up.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:16 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Then you'd have a small tax MM.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 1:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• LOL KTElite.. Good point!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:39 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I don't drive much, so a milage based tax actually sounds pretty good to me. Their method, however, doesn't. I'd be okay if the box ONLY tracked my milage, not where I was or my speed or anything else like that. If I'm going to be stalked, I want it to be the old fashioned way, with some sleazy guy standing in the shadows, plotting my demise for sick, twisted, possibly strangely romantic reasons, not political ones. Thanks, anyway.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2013